RP system for forums

Terran Stellar Navy Forums (OOC) Division Development RP system for forums

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 154 total)
  • Author
    Xavier
    Keymaster

I have added ‘Explosives’ to the list of sub-modules in combat training.

I have been thinking on the turn sequence today too. Having a guide on how to play out the turn should be useful so that there can be decisions made and actions taken and then GM input in a sequence that gives some structure and allows response,without thinhs running away suddenly or slowing down when you have to wait for GM input.

So far, my thoughts are to outline a step-by-step process that allows plenty ofcharacter interaction and RP. First, the GM would present the current situation. As much detail as possible would go into this, includig description of the surrounding environment,actions being taken by NPCs, events that are currently happening etc. After that,it will be over to the players. The next step would be for the players to ‘talk’ (using bold text) and plan out their actions on what they want to do, as well as share their ideas or speculate on the current situation e.g.

Using that console, we might be able to access the security systems and use internal sensors to scan for lifeforms.. This would be a ‘Planning Phase’. In that phase, with the number of characters, you should be able to plan out a series of ideas.

Next, after you have planned out what you are going to do and the actions you want to take, there could be an ‘Action Phase’. This is when you can use both italics and bold to represent speech and actikns being take. The key here is to ‘make attempts’ or ‘try’ to do something rather than simply do it. Using the example above the action phase would be:

Xavier’s post
    Xavier runs towards the console and begins tapping in commands
    Turnez, I need you over here to help me get passed these security protocols

Turnez’s post
    Turnez runs up next to Xavier and takes over whilst Xavier covers with his rifle.
    I’ll see what I can do. Perhaps bypassing the main server will work.
    Turnez begins typing in commands to the terminal.

If in your planning phase you’ve come up with what happens next e.g ‘After we’ve got access and the internal sensors and figured out where the lifeform is we’ll send out a team to capture them’ then the GM could give you the results of your first set of actions (getting info from the console) and then assume you move on to your next set of actions (running for the shuttle) and simply write that part of thr story in the GM comments.

That should give plenty of room for interactions back and forth with those two phases. After that, it would cycle back to the GM and the results of your actions. I can write a more complete outline of this with an example as part of it, but hopefully my thinking is clear. Do we think something like this could work for the purposes of our RP? In terms if the results (normally determined by a roll of dice in) you are going to have to trust the GM. Any event that causes problems for your character (like being shot) will be for excitement and tension, not because the GM doesnt like you. Stuff like that can, and will, happen though 😉

Blaze Strife
    Participant

The turns could work as described. Even if the GM puts us in a situation where we cannot talk, so we don’t have the planning phase.

We just need to see how often would one have to post.

P.S. You did a double post.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

Combat Training added.

I’ve also expanded the verification. This has set everyone’s feedback out of green.

Xavier
    Keymaster

Yes,I did double post. First post deleted.

Perhals a limit on number of planned actions could be set, or there could be ‘planning phase’, ‘action phase’, ‘planning phase’ for players,so you are planning your next move whilst trying to do your current actions,if that makes sense. After that cycle, there would be the GM input.

Looking at the current manticore mission, I wonder how this structure would impact that mission. To be honest, a ship mission like that probably favours playing it in Artemis rather than on the forums though.

Aramond
    Participant

It would certainly make it more structured, and faster. Honestly, I wish we had thought of something like this back during my play-by-post days.

As for the current mission, I’ll agree with you up until what we’ve been doing for the last 16 hours or so: stuff not involving working our consoles.

Adele Mundy
    Participant

The early part of the mission was odd, because it felt like we should actually have been running it on Artemis. As soon as it got to the personal interactions, and deciding what to do about the prisoners, we needed the time to talk it out, our attention would have been on our screens if it had been a shift mission.

Matthew Vaj
    Participant

One thing I like about the Manticore mission is that it allows our characters to DO more. Playing Artemis is great for combat and maybe even a few sciency missions, but stuff like the drama with Mundy and her brother just don’t fit well with playing the game, as Mundy stated above. Having more structure to the RP execution of the mission is manageable, and in many ways could be very helpful. Personally I’ve found it to be quite fun as it is, and I wonder if having more structure would put a damper on that. I’m willing to give it a shot though.

Xavier
    Keymaster

I am hoping the structure will allow for better and more fluid RP. Hopefully it won’t detract from it – it is all trial and error at the moment really though sk we’ll have to see. I am going for a loose structure to it, not a strict ‘phase one, then phase two’ etc. I’ll try and build that in to the guidelines (I’ll start work on them this evening).

I think the reason why RP is more difficult online is because we have voice only, focus primarily on our jobs and I personally find the time when typing a response gives me a chance to think more carefully about what is happening. I can respond more in character typing. I can also detail actions and such that you miss over voice comms only.

It could be possible to try and fully RP a mission with a small crew and a good GM though, like the Manticore mission. We’d have to allow more time and use the text messaging on teamspeak to share our actions.

Xavier
    Keymaster

RP Turn Sequence Guidelines

Here we go. The link above is a document I have just typed up about the turn sequence and how it can work on the forums. It isn’t a strict phase turn sequence, more of a guide about how to play out the RP in the forums. I have not set a time limit on turns (though the aim would be to complete one per day).

I might look at adding a section on ‘inactive’ players – those who are unable to respond in time during the turn sequence – just so we are clear on the procedure. It will likely be as simple as ‘your character goes along with whatever is currently happening as determined by the GM’.

Take a look. Any things that need clarifying? Any pitfalls that we need to address? We’ll probably find pitfalls as we go along, and we’ll try to correct them.

Now we have these two main documents in place? I will make a start on the holodeck training simulation I have planned out. Sign up below!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Xavier.
    Matthew Vaj
    Participant

Can you open it up for all of us to view?

Xavier
    Keymaster

Sharing now.

Aramond
    Participant

Very neat! You’ve broken it down into “dialogue” and “actions”. This might become a bit muddled during conversations with NPCs, as dialogue and action can be one in the same, especially when we’re trying to get someone to spill the beans.

As for that training sim, sign me up!

Adele Mundy
    Participant

Looks good!

Matsiyan
    Participant

Very nice. It does approximate what people are already doing but it also serves as a reminder of two things 1) Setting up any non-trivial action in such a way that the GM can describe the actual outcome 2) setting the expectation of the turn length – currently we tend to get into the action definition a bit too quickly, leaving us waiting for a GM and at the same time cutting off further discussion and planning.

Work is a bit hectic but I would like to participate in the training sim 🙂

Xavier
    Keymaster

Right,in that case I have typed up the opening of the first turn for the holo deck training simulation.

Make sure your characters are set up and finalised ready for the game. I am going to take a look at them and make a note on what you’ve all picked. I’ll just read over the GM entry a couple more times, make a few tweaks and then post it up on the new holodeck forum tomorrow! Lets see how it works out.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 154 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.