RP system for forums

Terran Stellar Navy Forums (OOC) Division Development RP system for forums

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 154 total)
  • Author
    Xavier
    Keymaster

OK, so using the Majors only on the character sheets, we could come up with some standard stuff.

E.g. Xeno-Linguistics
    Translation Matrix
    A standard program to decode and translate known alien languages.

Lingustic analysis Sub-routine
    Used on unknown alien languages, the sub-routine works to decode basic grammatical structures of the language.

And that is where I run out of my own ideas for the moment…

You get the idea.

Matthew Vaj
    Participant

Well, like I said, if you make new subforums as a sort of repository for ideas, people will come up with stuff. It doesn’t have to be just you šŸ™‚

Xavier
    Keymaster

Yep. It just depends if this is an idea we want to pursue, or if anyone else wants to weigh in with alternatives at the moment. I am happy to power ahead with this… despite Blaze’s drunken objections (well tipsy ones anyway). Just think Blaze, you could have the equivalent to a Vulcan nerve grip to draw on.

Kralien Death Slap
    A hard knock to the base of the spine which immediately drops the victim to the floor with temporary paralysis to the legs… followed by a swift kick in the (to use a Red Dwarf term) ‘happy sacks’ for good measure.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

Hahahah! Okay, you won me over. šŸ˜›

@matsiyan
    should speak up. He’s the one who’s on the frontier of the techno-babble.

Xavier
    Keymaster

Brilliant.

Thinking of combat and fighting, if you have ever read the “Wheel of Time” series, think back to the sword fights in that, where the sword masters use moves (sword forms) that they switch between. E.g (taken from Wheel of Time directly)

The River Undercuts the Bank is a sword form.

Description
    The River Undercuts the Bank is a movement involving dropping to one knee in order to make a horizontal cut at the enemy’s abdomen or legs. It is a dangerous tactic without the proper setup.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by Xavier.
    Xavier
    Keymaster

Well, if we are happy with this, I’ll get the ball rolling and set up a sub-forum as part of development to begin coming up with ideas. I’ll put in a standard format to follow so I can simply copy and paste across into document. That document will be in sections so you can quickly reference your own areas of interest/expertise.

If you agree, say Aye! Any other comments are welcome. I want to set this up before I head off for the night (in the next 40-50 minutes from the time of this post)

Matsiyan
    Participant

// One is struggling hard here not to introduce the use of Benetti’s defense in suitable rocky terrain being countered by a study of Agrippa. But I will prevail.

Kralien Death Slap Is edging a little far into whimsy for my taste but in general yes šŸ™‚

I am frequently accused of having swallowed a dictionary or two in my youth. Technobabble just requires a good dose of heavily salted coffee to regurgitate.

Matsiyan
    Participant

Aye!

Aramond
    Participant

Another option we have would be to ad-lib some appropriate jargon, then detail what we’re trying to do and what skill we want to use with OOC text. This would both allow and encourage spontaneous world-building.

Matthew Vaj
    Participant

That’s a good point, but I think that ad-libbing jargon will allow additions to the documentation. I don’t think there will be too much conflict between the two options.

Xavier
    Keymaster

Lol, the Kralien Death slap was a tongue in cheek idea to get Blaze on sideā€¦ donā€™t worry Matsiyan, I donā€™t think it will ā€œofficiallyā€ make it into the documentation.

We could have the option to ab-lib in the game. Initially, it might be the way aheadā€¦ as we build up a bank of idea though, weā€™ll need to try and make sure we donā€™t have too many terms for the same thing (though in a way it might not always be a bad thingā€¦

e.g. ā€œWe need to make sure we donā€™t have a Kralien cascade in the coreā€

ā€œYou mean a Fitzgerald feedback loop?ā€

ā€œMore or lessā€¦ back in my merc days weā€™d call it a Kralien Cascadeā€

Xavier
    Keymaster

I need a name for the forum to make it clear what it is… “Character’s ‘Toolbox’ Development Ideas”?

Charles Beaumont
    Participant

I think it’s a good idea. In tabletop I like some structure to help hang things off roleplay-wise, and in forum based roleplay, an environment I’m not very familiar with, the added structure/framing would probably help a great deal.
    As an occasional tabletop GM, I’m always a tad wary of spontaneous/ad-lib worldbuilding from players as there’s always the chance it’ll be off tone or not quite fit the setting (also, I’m terrible at improvising).
    A tad tipsy, so hopefully this makes sense and is helpful.

Xavier
    Keymaster

Ok, sub-forum is created…. and that is me out for the night.

Charles Beaumont
    Participant

Just been having a tinker with the character gen rules and spreadsheet and found a couple of potential issues, assuming I’m not misreading things:

1. The document says to boost half your starting skills to confident, then boost half of those confident skills to expert (or have an extra confident skill instead), but the spreadsheet validation requires you to have extra confident skills equal to the number of expert skills you take. Looks like it’s validating on flat numbers and not taking the intermediate boost to confident before boosting again to expert into account.

2. The validation doesn’t take boosting the initial combat training level into account when calculating how many confident levels you’ve taken.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 154 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.