RP system for forums

Terran Stellar Navy Forums (OOC) Division Development RP system for forums

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 154 total)
  • Author
    Fish Evans

Yep, I added it.. I can see reasons to want to build things, or understand why an odd material/metal chemical is doing what its doing.

Matsiyan
    Participant

Don’t forget to update your character sheet when you get promoted!

@blaze

Blaze Strife
    Participant

Thanks!

Matsiyan
    Participant

This thread is in the Division Development forum. At what point will it be appropriate to open up the character sheets to people outside this limited forum?

Or is it intended to get the serious roleplayers in here?

Should we encourage the new cadets to join the RP in the Bar? Maybe it could be mentioned during the shift?

Aramond
    Participant

It would certainly be worth mentioning right before dismissal. Of course, there’s always my eternal worry that doing so will crash the forums. So, maybe we don’t share a link.

Adele Mundy
    Participant

It’s interesting to see what a small proportion of even the long-time, committed officers take part in forum conversations. Sometimes I follow a thread, but feel I have nothing constructive to add, so I won’t appear to be taking part; that could be happening on a wider scale, I suppose. But I suspect adding a few participants in the Bar won’t make enough difference to the traffic to crash things, right?

Aramond
    Participant

There’s no problem with a ton of people posting. The issue come in with too many people accessing the site at the same time. If I posted a link to a forum post, and 20 people clicked it at once, that sudden spike of traffic could bring the server crashing down. The easiest comparison I can think of is that of the DDoS that the East Coast got hit with on Friday. But only happening once, and on a muuuuuuuuch smaller scale.

Xavier
    Keymaster

Every so often there is a spike in traffic, and I get an alert about it from the server provider. Generally though, there is no issues.

If you look at active officers, there are people checking regularly, but don’t always contribute. Sometimes it might be because there are still so many grey areas in our background and universe. We almost need a technical manual for all the stuff we talk about (thinking star trek technical jargon) that could link with the RP. The Encyclopedia is beginning to get there, I was updating it recently and could finish that off this evening to be uploaded. The more stuff we can get in there, particularly the sci-fi technical jargon, the better. Serious RPers could research stuff for an accurate response then e.g. figuring out what energy signature is produced by a cloaked enemy ship (something like theta particle exhaust trails or something).

Matthew Vaj
    Participant

@admin since you probably don’t have time to figure out that stuff on your own, we could add pinned threads or subforums in the canon development forum for people to suggest various technical information that once approved could be added to the Encyclopedia.

Edit: The overarching topics could be the majors and minors on the officers RP document.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by Matthew Vaj.
    Blaze Strife
    Participant

Sometimes I follow a thread, but feel I have nothing constructive to add, so I won’t appear to be taking part; that could be happening on a wider scale, I suppose.

It does; I’m the same, sometimes.

If I posted a link to a forum post, and 20 people clicked it at once, that sudden spike of traffic could bring the server crashing down.

It even happened on my own profile, once.

we could add pinned threads or subforums in the canon development forum for people to suggest various technical information

Matthew is on to something, here.

Xavier
    Keymaster

Well, I am thinking we need to look at particular areas, as you suggested. My first thoughts are things like computer programming. You always hear engineers in ST talking about algorithms being run to do this, that and the other. So we could come up with names for algorithms that do particular things, or programs that find particular information etc.

I was also thinking of stuff to do with sensors and data analysis, so actions you can take to do a specific job. Like filtering out interference patterns somehow, or putting the data through different analysis tools in order to find a solution.

Basically, we’d be making a toolbox to pick from. You could pick something to do to try and figure the problem out, then the success depends upon your levels of expertise. Of course, there would be scope to come up with variations of the same thing, but we need a basic set to begin with to build on.

Does this sound like a good idea? Initially it might feel a bit restrictive, but as we get to grips with it we should be able to branch it out into a whole vocabulary and set of different tools to use. Whatever you specialization is, you’ll likely study what you have ‘access’ to (i.e. would be most successful using), flicking through other options from other specialties, but focusing primarily on your own set to learn.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

Particular algorithms or programs? Too much information, I think. I don’t want to use a glossary each time I want to write something RP-like.

Due to the degree of RP we do and how often/rarely we post, I’m not sure we should be complicating things. Having said that, I’m not sure if your suggestion would be a complication or a simplification. I’m slightly tipsy at the moment, and am not able to cleary think, but yeah…

Xavier
    Keymaster

Well, a good example is what is happening currently on the Bar thread. It would be useful I think to have some actions to try to unravel the puzzle. It would take some of the guess work out of it, give us a “universal jargon” to use that we all understand, and open up the possibility to know what to do. At the moment we kind of guess and make it up as we go along. We all end up coming up with something different and tend to pull in different directions.

SPOILER ALERT (kind of…but won’t really give anything away, just the magic of discovery/ the mechanics in the background)

Consider the sensor data analysis that we are currently trying to figure out. I already know what the information is… but I want you guys to try and figure it out. Your level of success (i.e. if you completely ruin it, the data will be lost and we’ll have no idea about the nebula. If you get it right, I can give the hints about what is there… of course, Fish being Fish, he hasn’t actually told me the exact answer, so I know the potential options to narrow it down)

Matthew Vaj
    Participant

I guess I figure as we go through and make stuff up, we’ll learn what we need to know as we go, so I don’t think there’ll be a problem with having too much information, especially if we don’t go into a ton of detail.

I think the “toolbox” concept is accurate. If we have information on what we can do from each of the “toolboxes”, we could do lot of RP that has content but isn’t necessarily super-detailed. So stuff like

filtering out interference patterns somehow, or putting the data through different analysis tools in order to find a solution.

for sensor data analysis, or for warp core mechanics we could balance the warp fields or optimize field efficiency or something or other.

Edit: It wouldn’t have to have details like what specific tools being used or algorithms to run.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by Matthew Vaj.
    Xavier
    Keymaster

Vaj – yes, that kind of thing. And we wouldn’t each have to learn everything. If each of us simply learned bits, we’d end up prompting one-another e.g.

“Matsiyan, couldn’t you run a sub-routine to clean the anti-matter and optimise the power output from the warpcore?”

“Of course! I could try redirecting the flow through a particle filer to remove the impure anti-matter from the chamber. – begins running a____ sub-routine”

In the Engineer’s toolbox it would be:

_____ sub-routine
    When run, the warp particles are redirected through an atomic filter, before being fed back into the warp chamber.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 154 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.