OOC TOPIC: Training Simulation 1-Beta

Terran Stellar Navy Forums Command Centre Holodeck OOC TOPIC: Training Simulation 1-Beta

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Xavier
    Keymaster

I have been pondering where to go next and was planning posting soon (busy week!)

In the Mythic system, the whole story is split into ‘scenes’ that play out,so you can focus on the key action parts, moving the story along. Now one thought is to jump to the next scene from our current point (and I have a post that I can put up that will allow use to do that), to the next. I can frame the new scene with a smaller immediate objective that takes us a step closer to completing the overall mission. So for example, this first scene would have been ‘gain access to the station and figure out a route to a command centre’. We fulfilled these two objective that now take us closer to getting the intel (our overall mission).

The other option is to play out the interim parts too, like finding our way down the corridors etc. This will make things longer and potentially will get bogged down in less relevant details however allows us to RP all the aspects of the mission.

Personally, I am leaning towards the ‘scene 1’ then ‘scene 2’ idea. We could look at drafting out all the scenes as a group with they main point of the scene that we will be playing through. Part of me likes the appeal of going in to the detail of the whole mission though, its just the commitment and the potential for getting stuck in a rut that steers me away from it.

Matsiyan
    Participant

I also incline to the scene structure. It is fun to do bits of texture that illuminate detail, but I think it will be more rewarding to focus on the major dramatic objectives.

Xavier
    Keymaster

OK. I’ll figure out some way of ending one scene and shifting to the next.

Xavier
    Keymaster

We have just finished discussing having scenes set up in the training simulation. I have just added a new document (with a link to the opening thread of the Training Simulation Beta-1 game) to the Forum RP Documents folder. The link is also below for quick reference.

(Scene Document)

Basically, each scene for the mission is outlined briefly. When one scene comes to an end, we will move on to the next. Once the Primary Objective has been completed, the mission will end. The intention is to structure the mission into a series of logical scenes that we can play out.

Matsiyan
    Participant

Events during a scene could require an additional scene or a change to an expected scene.So the scene list is always just the current expectation.

Xavier
    Keymaster

OK, I have added the end of the scene post. I have also modified the guide document with clearer rules.

Zac Turnez
    Participant

I’ve started scene 2. Gone with a few key details as obtaining access to the room and how we do it is to me, a part of the scene, but not something that should take a good chunk of it. Besides, feels like a little prelude to the main attempt to access the systems. Also left it open to a translator to decide exactly where we’ve ended up too.

Xavier
    Keymaster

I have just been scanning through the Player Toolbox we created for the first test game and thinking about the stuff we have done on this mission. I think it might be worth adding in some kind of entry for tying into shuttle sensor systems. Also, adding in a note about the small portable power generator we’ve used too. It is likely that we are going to use similar actions in the future so it is worth adding a name and uses reference.

In the Mythic rules, there is also a template for writing up actions and the levels relating to the fate chart. I can add tables to the player’s toolbox for reference too, so each time we don’t need to think about the acting rating for using the skill. It’ll keep things consistent from one game to the next then.

Xavier
    Keymaster

I have added more to the Forum guide. There is a resolution chart that can be filled in to keep track of common questions that need resolving, as well as a “scaling box” so that we can build a more consistent universe.

The scaling boxes, I am thinking of adding to their own document so that we can continually build on it as we play through missions and meet more situations or characters. The example in the document is to show relative strengths of the different races in the universe. Due to the nature of Torgoths, Skaraans and Ximni, I thought they suited being slightly stronger than humans, whereas Arvonians and Kraliens would be pretty much the same. Any other aliens we want to invent or meet could also be added. We can also expand the scaling boxes to include things like weapons and their strength e.g. a TSN sidearm vs a Kralien sidearm.

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.