OOC TOPIC: Training Simulation 1-Beta

Terran Stellar Navy Forums Command Centre Holodeck OOC TOPIC: Training Simulation 1-Beta

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Xavier
    Keymaster

Here is the topic for OOC chat. Any questions or stuff to ask/share OOC should be done here.

It may be useful to reference the post being discussed where necessary or quote from the IC forum.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

So, if we’re in a docking point, we’re likely in an airlock, still all in suits. The first question would be if we can open the door. The question is highly likely to be asked (High AR), so I’ll try it.

P.S.: You might want to link to each topic in the title post, @admin.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Blaze Strife.
    Xavier
    Keymaster

Ok, I will link in a couple of things.

PS. @dantezelreich – you have got to be kidding me! I cannot believe you have just pretty much done the whole mission in two questions. Read the info about security systems – they get more difficult to hack the further away you are from the point you are trying to access. And logically, is an airlock interface going to be a point where you can access intelligence information that is going to be of any use?! I am so going to ban you from these training missions!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Xavier.
    Xavier
    Keymaster

I am thinking of adding a “post limit” of some sort. Something like, a proportion of the active players must have posted before you can add your next post. For example 1/3 of those who are taking part must have added their own post before you can add your next post, rounding up. So, if there is a full crew of six, you could post once but then would have to wait until two others had posted before you could post again.

The intention would be to allow others to post, without one person dominating the story by adding a whole series of posts. The exact proportion needs to be decided, e.g. should it be 1/5, or maybe even 1/2 of the active players. Generally it seems that we have about 4 – 5 active players, with a couple chipping in here and there.

We also need to look at some way of moderating the responses to avoid immediate resolution of a story in two questions.

Xavier
    Keymaster

@dantezelreich Considering that the airlock doors had to be forced by Blaze, and that it is probably due to the power being down, the AR should be Low to Weak for the question “Is the station’s power grid online?” Logically that would make sense. Based on that, you are looking at a roll below 35 (for Low vs Average) or 15 (for Weak vs Average) for a Yes. I think we need to be careful with our interpretations and of course I think err on the side of caution. Perhaps we should discuss here and then post until we get the hang of it.

Zac Turnez
    Participant

Right, my thinking is the airlock is pretty much guarenteed to lead to a corridor of some kind, so the chance was high. There was the chance it could lead in to some kind of docking bay, so didn’t want to leave out that possibility.

As for it being empty, a derelict might have something of interest as we enter, but might not, so I kept the chance average. As it turns out, we are in a pretty empty corridor, alone.

I kept up with Blaze’s idea of floating in to the station. As that had been established and since the systems seem to be powered down (no life support detected; airlock having to be forced etc) I am running with that.

Note for canon – do we have “mag boots” to stick to the deck, or shall we stick with floating. Personally, I like the idea of floating (since we don’t need to worry about that whole cinematic “walking on the ground” thing all the time….. how boring… walking in space!)

Blaze Strife
    Participant

I’d set a hard limit of a minimum of 2 other posts in between your own. I don’t think we should be doing calculations like 1/2 or 1/5 or whatever. Two posts from other players ought to be enough.

The moderation should be left to you, as the GM. The rest of us will try to use our common sense not to do it.

I’d stick with floating, and using “mag boots” only when you need stability. It would be good if they had an on/off switch.

Xavier
    Keymaster

I have added a post limit. Think of it as a “2 before you” setting. Basically, when you make a post, you have to wait until at least two others have posted before you can make another.

A note has been added to the topic’s opening thread for reference. It might be that this is tweaked depending on how many players join, or how many frequently people are posting.

If we were to switch to a ratio, 2:1 ratio e.g 2 posts from others for every one post you make.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

I figure we should use AR for unopposed questions to set the difficulty of the task ourselves, not to check how often a question would’ve been asked, or to propose a probability of a certain fact we’re checking.

Maybe I’ve erred with the “Above Average” for my second question, but it doesn’t matter now.

Example: “Does the airlock lead to a corridor?” It can only lead to a corridor or a room, so the AR should be High or greater. If the question was “Does the airlock lead to an engine room?”, that would be highly unlikely, so the AR should be Miniscule or even question removed.

Btw, I use real dice to roll the d100.

And now I’m going to wait for Aramond, Mats, Adele, Vaj, Dante or someone else to post, before doing my own, even though there are two posts after my own (not counting Dante’s).

Nhaima
    Participant

Thoughts behind my AR.

Most people tend to build things in similar fashions or at least try not to re-engineer the solution every time if they can help it. Things may have subtle differences, but on the whole structures of the same class should be similar. Therefore, AR would be high.

Are the emergency beacons still going off? Probably not, the computer system likely would have shut them down once all personnel was off station or after a period of time to conserve power in case they tried to access it again. Therefore low, but still worth a shot.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

I agree.

@matsiyan
    Why didn’t you try asking any questions, like Nhaima and I have?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I was thinking something could go wrong while we were waiting on that. Don’t shoot me, it’s only a test, and not to mention you voided it. 😛

Matsiyan
    Participant

Partly to illustrate that it is not necessary every time. Sometimes there can be just player interactions. Partly, I could not think of a way to frame it. I wanted to avoid repeating the same cycle of what’s there, is the door openable etc. and partly because it is a bit awkward editing and doing lookups on an iPad 🙂 Nhaima came up with a much more cinematic next step.

Zac Turnez
    Participant

Quote: Are there any access points along the right corridor?

Right, so by access points I mean physical hatches or doors. Just thought I would clear that up here!

Xavier
    Keymaster

With the posts we have had so far, it feels to me that things are moving more fluidly than the last system we tried. We seemed to get caught up in detail last time, waiting on me as GM to move things on and not quite knowing what to do. With this system, it seems much more “responsive” i.e. we ask the questions to enable us to do what we kind of want to do, and then the GM emulator sorts it out for.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.