Portraits

Viewing 11 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Rodger Wilcon
    Participant

Thanks man, perfect.

Matsiyan
    Participant

// I think Rodger must be older than 17. Depending on the courses you take we worked out that Academy takes 2-4 years. If you were already TSN enlisted crew with relevant qualifications maybe you could get through in an absolute minimum of 18 months.

So for a student, however smart and well educated, I have trouble imagining they would allow them to start the final qualifying period of officer training before their 18th birthday and would insist on more than the bare minimum of instruction to ensure not only competence in a primary bridge role but also enough maturity for the responsibility. People change dramatically between the ages of 18 and 21. So I think it would be really incredible for someone to be eligible for their Ensign exam before their 20th birthday even if they started attending Academy instruction at 16 for schoolwork.

Any other opinions out there? I know that historical military officers were younger but am having trouble imagining that in the USFP.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by Matsiyan.
    Matsiyan
    Participant

// Also, nice work on Rodger’s RP character sheet.

You have correctly spent your six cadet points. The rules basically mean that half of your specialities should be confident and one quarter should be Expert. You might want to bump up astro-navigation to expert and convert a couple to be confident.

Rodger Wilcon
    Participant

OK, I’ll do that once I get to ensign. Thanks. And I’ll bump Wilcon’s age up to 19-20, but I’ll take any suggestions.

Adele Mundy
    Participant

I think several people mentioned that human lifespans have probably been enhanced by at least a couple of decades, possibly three or four, by 2237. So it is reasonable to assume that effective, active working lifespans have also increased. Given that, it also makes sense that one might spend more time early in life on education and training, so that starting a career in one’s thirties would not be considered late. And at the same time one might be in one’s mid-twenties and still look like a teenager.

The sum of which is, we have a lot of flexibility on how our charaters look and how old they are. They don’t have to be anything at all like us in RL.

Rodger Wilcon
    Participant

Um, would the age ranges be applicable to @False_Trueman? He’s 14 on the sheet at this point.

Adele Mundy
    Participant

I would recommend it, yes. It doesn’t really make sense to be that young. Obviously, none of us can enforce any of this: a game is a constant negotiation between players.

Adele Mundy
    Participant

Maybe Trueman is 14 in Mars years…

Donovan
    Participant

A Martian year is 1.882 Earth years, btw.

Rodger Wilcon
    Participant

Hmm, possibly.

Rodger Wilcon
    Participant

Srry post didn’t work as wanted.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 11 months ago by Rodger Wilcon.
Viewing 11 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.