The role of the Duty Officer

Terran Stellar Navy Forums (OOC) Division Development The role of the Duty Officer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Xavier
    Keymaster

The Duty Officer role is fairly well established in the TSN. We have clear guidelines and responsibilities that a DO must take on during the shift. Recently, the senior officers have discussed how to extend this role further, and to allow the role to develop in complexity and importance, as well as how to improve officers taking on the role. A discussion in a recent senior officer’s meeting focused on the appointment of a duty officer, and how long an officer remains in the role.

We discussed the idea that, if an officer holds the rank of DO for a longer period, it will allow them to become more accustomed to the requirements of the role, and therefore be more effective in that role. By doing this, there would also be the addition that the role of DO increase in importance and require officers in the position to be well aware of specific protocol and procedure.

As a result, we are looking into appointing duty officers over an extended period, rather than on a shift by shift basis (the specific period is yet to be determined). One foreseen circumstance would be the requirement of having an another officer as “backup” should the appointed DO be unavailable for some reason or another on a particular shift.

Feedback on this would be welcome, particularly on the length of time a DO could be appointed for (senior officers have discussed timeframes between 2 and 4 shifts). If there are any volunteers who would like to take on the role (preferably those who are active and are highly likely to attend shifts), please forward your details to me directly. The senior officer will then choose from the candidates and appoint the DO on or before the next shift. A second candidate would also be appointed as the “backup” DO.

Zephyr
    Participant

From the point of view of a veteran 🙂 who has only done DO a couple of times. It’s a really good role to get noticed for promotions but is seen as a bit of a bum role. Keep it that way, let those who want the fast track to promotion volunteer for it and make sure it will help in the boosting up the ranks. Maybe make it a requirement to do it X amount of times to get the promotion. If somebody wanted to volunteer for it week after week they’d make their quota quicker and extra DO duties may flag officers up for early command duties. I don’t think you need to tie DO duty for several weeks just dangle a bigger carrot to the role. Maybe have a DO captained ship? I’m thinking the TSN DOnut would be fun to captain 🙂 different crew each week, an older TSN light cruiser would be perfect.

Xavier
    Keymaster

I have been writing up new protocol for the DO to follow. It makes things clear as to what to do as DO. I’ve added pointers like using other officers to deal with specific things and also clarified what to do mid shift. The duties mid shift are light, so the officer can get on with playing and have minimal disturbance.

The idea is to make it a more authoratative role, giving them authority to give instructions and orders to other junior officers and make key decisions like assigning crew at the start of the shift.

Xavier
    Keymaster

The page outlining the duty officer role is now published and accessible through Library> TSN Database> Protocols and Procedures.

Matsiyan
    Participant

In the reorganization of the library database, the DO protocol document seems to have gone missing. Can it be reinstated?

Xavier
    Keymaster

I started reorganising and updating the website and files in the library database. I now have some more time on my hands so should be able to get back on with it.

Aramond
    Participant

While I hate to drag a thread back from the grave, was there ever a recovery on that DO document?

Xavier
    Keymaster

I will have a look around for it and see if I can dig it out.

Something on the DO list of responsibilities includes adding a figure for attendance in to an online form. The intention is to track over time the attendance numbers to see if there are any trends e.g. drop off at particular times of the year, spikes in attendance (hopefully we will see one after armada) etc.

I can forward you the link.
    I think a quick “checklist” guide would be something useful to put together for a DO to have in front of them during a shift too, so will look at compiling something.

Xavier
    Keymaster
    Jemel Eahain

Link new officers to station training and combat order documents and referance sheet.

Possibly add if green recuits turn up have someone from the training department go over tge above docs etc?

Xavier
    Keymaster

OK, I have added useful links on at the bottom as well as some more detail about setting new recruits up.

Aramond
    Participant

Thanks for throwing that together! Having links to the mod download page and the v2.1.1 downgrade would also be useful, just to have all the links in one place.

On a slightly unrelated note, I was testing my “powers” on teamspeak. I can grant the rank of Cadet just fine, but I’m not sure how to give the power for one to access different parts of the TSN station. Is this something the DO can do, or will a senior officer need to be contacted to give clearance to new recruits?

Xavier
    Keymaster

If you can grant the cadet rank,it will set all the required permissions to access different channels.

John van Leigh
    Participant

Direct officers to Briefing Room 1 at 20:30hrs for shift start

This is half an hour off, if I remember correctly. Beyond that, everything looks fine to me.

//Aramond, you need to assign channel groups at the parent channel and all subchannels will inherit it, thus cadets should be able to move around. Suppose you only assign the channel group for the docking bay, the cadet will not receive it on, say, the briefing room. Which leads to the cadet not being able to move around. Also, if the inherited channel group is not the same as the channel group of the current channel, the subchannel wins. So if you see a recently promoted officer that has a different rank on a specific channel, you don’t correct the rank of that channel, you remove it; and then the inherited group will be assigned automatically.

Aramond
    Participant

//Thanks, del Pino. I didn’t realize that only granting rank while on the Docking Bay wouldn’t extend the permissions elsewhere. Thus ends the silly dance of DO Lt. Aramond and his cohort Aramond-Bot. No longer will they need to run around, trying to figure out why none of the doors will open.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.