Mythic GM Emulator

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Xavier
    Keymaster

Ok, I have just discovered this and think it might serve a purpose for our forum RP. Has anyone used the system? If so, what is it like? For those of you who don’t know, it is a system that handles the GM decision making process, allowing for play by an individual or group without a GM present. The system used in Mythic does the GMing for you.

From a brief look through, it would fit fine with everything we already have in place. I am not sure exactly how it would look written on the forums, but could mean the RP gets moved along more swiftly than having to wait between GM/ player response.

Basically, we wouldn’t have a GM as that would be handled by the emulator. We might have to implement some system to regulate turns so one player can’t play out half a story before anyone else jumps in. It would also mean we could continue play if someone is inactive for a period of time too – we wouldn’t have to wait around, just move on and they jump back in when they can.

Thoughts?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I like the idea. I just would like to know more about how it works.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

I’m in.

Aramond
    Participant

That book is actually pretty fantastic! Used it once or twice for some tabletop one-shots. Not sure how well it works for anything longer though. I think I have a copy of the PDF version. Will take a look when I have a chance to sit down at my computer in the next few days.

Xavier
    Keymaster

Aramond, do you have much knowledge and experience that you can share. Would it work for forum RP? How might it need to be adapted?

Aramond
    Participant

I’ll need to look the book over again for those kinds of comments. Been about five years since I’ve used it. I can tell you that we used it more as a neutral moderator, as the games we played with it had more of a collaborative storytelling aspect. The main worry with it here is that we’ll still want a GM ready to veto any of the decisions the book makes, as there will probably be times where it doesn’t mesh with the kinds of stories we want to tell in the TSN.

Matsiyan
    Participant

That is my suspicion too, that the results might be too open ended for an idea the GMs might have. I am thinking of the Manticore mission. I am assuming that there are ideas in the background about Horatio Mundy’s usefulness to a storyline. On the other hand, something like the holodeck training sim might work very interestingly – at the very least to see how it could work.

Xavier
    Keymaster

From doing a bit of research, the important part of the GM Emulator is the questions asked. How the answers to those questions are interpreted seems to be the next important part. I think it should be possible to draw up some of the resolution charts for repeated questions (like breakig in to security systems). From what I understand too, fewer details in the beginning should allow for the game to be more fluid.

Where I think this will work is not having to wait for a GM. Each player could resolve their part and post it up, with the next player just adding to the story. Definately, we will go with a holodeck sim first and see what spins out from it. As for proper links to the story, perhaps keeping the objective focused would work e.g. capture the spy aboard the station, reactivate the power grid on a ship etc.

In terms of the forum and writing stuff up, woulf it be useful to have two threads, one OOC, and one IC?

Blaze Strife
    Participant

I think it would be useful, yes. Especially when we spin into an OOC discussion.

Xavier
    Keymaster

Right, my plan is to review our own RP guide and update it with new ideas to try. I think the character creation system is fine, it is more the RP process on the forums that needs tweaking. I’ll take stuff we have already done from the current training simulation and use it to create things like resolution charts and such that we can use.

Once done, I think it might be best to trial the ideas in a new Holo deck traning simulation. This was always going to be a process of trail and error. Hopefully with this process we can evolve the system further and make it more fluid and less reliant on a single GM or participation levels of players. We’ll see how it goes anyway!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Xavier.
    Adam Parra
    Participant

I think this would be cool for away missions. I know other people wanted to use another game called Space Engineers for away missions.

Xavier
    Keymaster

Ok, I have read through the key parts of the Mythic rules and kind of get the idea of it all. I have started to draft up some basic guidelines on how this might start to be used in our forum RP. I have linked to document so you guys can have a look and help me develop it further. Any ideas that need adding, or things that need clarifying, post here!

I have yet to figure out how our character creation stuff links up, and there is nothing yet on combat. I am leaving that until we have the fundamentals in place. It would be pretty cool to play out the basic mission objective outlined at the beginning of the document. If we stipulate that there will be no encounters that will require any combat, then we could see how the system works without the added complexity of such rules.

The whole thing will make the RP much more freeform, and we need something in place to “moderate” what we do. I can’t see anyone abusing the system (well… MOST people won’t abuse the system) but it would be useful just to have a check of some kind in place.

Anyway, here is the document! It is short and simple at the moment as it is still in the process of being written but hopefully will help us move forward with our RP.

Forum RP Guidelines V.2

Matthew Vaj
    Participant

For stuff related to skills, maybe the Acting Rank should correspond to skill levels for the characters, low corresponding to basic and high corresponding to Master.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve looked over your example and I have a question. In your example: are we supposed to type all that information, and then post?

Blaze Strife
    Participant

I think so, Dante. Otherwise, it doesn’t make much sense, since it looks like you’re just going with whatever suits you. A post would look much like the last boxed example.

The biggest problem I see would be agreeing on “Acting Ranks” for the unoposed questions. Are there any templates we can use?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • The forum ‘(OOC) Forum RP Development Ideas’ is closed to new topics and replies.