Hello from Phoenix ComiCon

Terran Stellar Navy Forums (OOC) The Mess Hall Hello from Phoenix ComiCon

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Adele Mundy
    Participant

@Zargon, are you going to be at the training meeting this Saturday? We will probably be late for the shift because of the meeting.

Zargon
    Participant

Unfortunately no, my normal work duties keep me from doing things on Saturdays and Sundays. I’ll be at the meeting on Wednesday the 25th.

Adele Mundy
    Participant

I should be able to make the Wed. 25th meeting.

Adele Mundy
    Participant

There was another training meeting today for the volunteers helping out with Artemis at Phoenix Comicon – only two more weekends, and we’ll be on shepherding cadets duty! Today all those attending tried on uniforms and had photos taken for the recruiting posters (the TSN wants You!) The young and handsome people had some more “glamorous” shots as well as the “we are officers and we mean business” shots; and a couple of people were in alien make-up, because the TSN is an equal opportunities organization.

One bridge was set up so that new people could play, so while waiting for my photo session, I helped out two of the new people get the hang of Science and Comms. There were new volunteers, who had never played before, and they’re expected to learn enough about the game to help out people who want to try the game during the Con. So I was trying to show them one step at a time, in order not to overwhelm them. At least they were seated next to each other, so I could stand behind their seats, look over their shoulders, and gently suggest, “Science, Comms needs to know which ship to taunt”; “Comms, this is how you ask for surrenders”…

Then all the new people switched stations (good idea), and then the Engineer, Science and Comms all left, mid-mission… (not a good idea). But Weapons and Helm wanted to carry on, so I took Science and Comms, we left Engineering in its basic setting, and we managed to complete the sim – it was set at something ridiculously easy, for which I was grateful. It’s one thing to run SciComms on one console, and it’s another to reach along the table to another computer; while occasionally peering round the other side to help out with helm controls. Me! Helping out with helm controls! Those of you who’ve been in a sim where Mundy was driving will know how amusing the idea is. And how terrifying the thought that I was a better pilot than the guy on Helm. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Then a helpful child asked if he could take Comms. He could just about read, so that was okay, with help. His twin sister tried to take Engineering, but she was across the far side of the table from me and really needed someone next to her who could explain it, so she lost interest. This is why there aren’t enough women in STEM, people! Train your daughters, nieces and little cousins to run the ship’s engines, dammit!

The game ended (I actually talked Helm and Weapons through executing an Echo run on the last enemy ship. Why are people so surprised when mines go boom?), I put on a uniform, stood in front of the green screen and had my photos taken. I shall find out if the results are any good at the Con.

This wasn’t supposed to turn into a pseudo-log, but in case anyone on the forums is vaguely local and wants to join in, now you know. There’s another training session this coming Wed., one next Saturday, one on Labour Day.

Adele Mundy
    Participant

It occurred to me to add: the RP setting for the Comicon Artemis games is that the con attendees are cadets just getting to a training cruise, but something dire happens, and they have to fly their ship in a real fight, because all the experienced crews are already involved in a battle elsewhere. It’s up to the cadets to save the day… So I was wondering if anyone would mind if we offered up the TSN oath to the Comicon group, so that the cadets could be sworn in before their battle. I think it would be great atmosphere, but I don’t want to hand it over without permission.

Xavier
    Keymaster

Go for it!

Aramond
    Participant

Actually, if you could get audio of a group of people all saying the oath together, that would be amazing!

Adele Mundy
    Participant

@Xavier, thanks!
    And actually, one of the organisers did ask me about sending in atmospheric audio clips – she was thinking things like flight announcements, “cargo bay doors closing”, “Officer So-and-so report to Deck 13”, that sort of background. They want lots of different voices, and preferably different languages too. The Oath would be brilliant!

Adele Mundy
    Participant

More Artemis training for Phoenix Comicon will take place this Sat., so Matsiyan and I will probably do the last minute shuttle dash again, to get to the shift in time. There should also be training for New Horizons, a new spaceship game the local guys started to design last year. Matsiyan and I actually playtested it for one whole hour last year, and this makes us the experts… I definitely need a refresher session.

Adele Mundy
    Participant

Unpacking, preparation, set-up.
    Artemis at Phoenix Comicon

Adele Mundy
    Participant

Full day of final set-up. Hour 4 of cadet training. Send emergency chocolate.

Matsiyan
    Participant

TSN Officers

Whole album

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Matsiyan.
    Matsiyan
    Participant

Img link not working

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Matsiyan.
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.