Having a good time

Terran Stellar Navy Forums (OOC) The Mess Hall Having a good time

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Aramond
    Participant

While I’m not going to be able to read this in full until tomorrow, it starts off talking about effective communication. I already approve. @admin needs to look at this.

Adele Mundy
    Participant

//@mattsheep, the Voice seems to work only on enemy organic life forms – Caltrons ignore it, and NPCs are probably outfitted with special Voice-cancelling headsets.

Matsiyan
    Participant

// Excellent doc, Vaj. This is very much in accord with principles I have seen in earlier docs and heard espoused by TSN Engineers in conversation.

Xiph
    Participant

*looks sheepish*

I meant the running of sims, rather than the Engineering side of things. That engineering guide is excellent. I hope you don’t mind that I’ve added replies to your suggestions.

Matsiyan
    Participant

*also looks sheepish* I see what you did there, Xiph. Sorry I got the wrong end of the stick. Running sims in the sandbox is something I would love to learn to do. I can’t even keep it running for more than a minute or two. So there is obviously something I don’t understand. I enjoyed the sims, but was too detail oriented to get the picture of if they were a good overall challenge. I certainly enjoyed it.

Matthew Vaj
    Participant

@xiph I welcome it from anyone!

Aramond
    Participant

Great shift today, everyone! Final officer count at the end: 31.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

It was very nice to be back, even if only for half a shift!

Xiph
    Participant

I couldn’t believe my eyes when I turned up for the last hour!

Xavier
    Keymaster

One of the best turn outs we have had for a while. Hopefully it will continue at that level for some time. Based on the data we have, that would match the trend.

Adele Mundy
    Participant

We could run six ships on a regular basis? Wow!

John van Leigh
    Participant

We really don’t know. There are some trends when it comes to attendance, and we’re slowly figuring them out.

For starters, a very important thing is to predict absences. Our current structure needs five ships of five people (25 total), and most ships have an absence per week. So we need to know how many of those 30-some we had are active, and how many of the 25 people on assignment are actually here. It might be better, for example, to replace crew members or have more ships of 6. Or we could deliverately avoid a ship of 6 and comission a permanent ship of 4. But then we need to sort out a command roster, and that also means promoting someone or replacing an XO. And that means we need data on which senior officers (or lts, or lt-srs) are active enough to be considered.

So, yeah. We’d love a new ship, but we need to be certain these numbers are going to be a permanent thing

Adele Mundy
    Participant

That makes sense. I was also wondering about keeping a vacancy on each ship so that new cadets could be spread around the fleet.

Matsiyan and I generally send notice in advance when we are going to be away. That’s actually one disadvantage to the two of us being on the same ship, Lancer ends up being two crew members short.

On a different note, yesterday after the shift we went to FanFest in Phoenix, and wore our local TSN group uniforms. And we were stopped three times by excited people who wanted to know if Artemis was running anywhere. We had to disappoint them, alas.

Matthew Vaj
    Participant

Just a thought: for shifts that we have sufficient numbers for a sixth ship, what if we use, say, the Hunter as a cadet training vessel? The ship could run around and do scans and such without being too critical to the mission’s completion while the cadets have a relatively stress-free environment for training. Since we won’t always have the numbers, on shifts with fewer people the cadets could get the regular crews’ experience, too. It could also be a chance to train and test the capabilities of potential command officers.

Edit: Another thought:
    Awhile ago I remember Garion and a few other people wanting to have a fighter squadron. It might make sense to have a sim now and then to train everyone as fighter pilots in case the division is assigned a carrier for a short time for some random mission. This could be potential fodder for the GM’s to have a mess around with in the future.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by Matthew Vaj.
    John van Leigh
    Participant

When the Instructor Department was first created that was the norm: we had a separate sim if the number of cadets justified it in which we covered the bare basics.

Still, I don’t think it’s fine for a scout to be a training vessel. Using one properly is extremely complicated, and surviving takes some experience. At any rate, it’d mean an Instructor has to be the captain, and I’m not sure if that’s doable.

Well, I’m not even sure how Jemel feels about that.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.