Having a good time

Terran Stellar Navy Forums (OOC) The Mess Hall Having a good time

Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Xavier
    Keymaster

Though it would mean that all TSN fighters would be affected, I think this wouldn’t be much of a problem. At the moment, we don’t use fighters at all (or so rarely it is negligable). Individually they are too ineffective and to deploy a group means reducing crews on ships. From my persective the preference seems to be having more bridge crews working together than fewer with lots of fighters.

What would be interesting would be for GMs to manage a supply system that the shuttles could use. This could be simply pop-up messages like ‘medical supplies delivered’ or more complex procedures like transferring ordnance from ships or supply bases (i.e. no space station).

Using shuttles would be mission dependent, but if we drew up situations where they would be needed to be deployed, then we could build them in to missions automatically. E.g. whenever you are transferring personnel to a station, they have to go via shuttle craft.

Xavier
    Keymaster

Then any mission could have an element such as where the GM simply states: station DS-12 needs additional maintainence personnel to help enact repairs.

Captains and crews would then automatically know they’d have to use a shuttle to do the transfer.

Nhaima
    Participant

Fighters are pretty effective from my experience, though that is outside of the TSN mod. They just can’t stand up long to oncoming fire, but if their mothership can take the brunt of the punishment then the additional firepower is quite noticeable. A fighter or two can also be left to engage smaller fleets while the mothership engages heavier targets.

All of this assumes that you have enough warm bodies to fill every position, and I agree that most people would prefer (more ships/no fighters) to (fewer ships/a few fighters). This is even before considering that converting fighters to shuttles gives greater RP opportunity rather than having a cruiser loitering near a station waiting for the Comms message that the transfer has been completed. If people really want fighters for simulations, some fighter enabled duplicates can be tagged as “Ximni” vessels rather than TSN, even if they otherwise look and function like their TSN counterparts, but would carry combat-oriented fighters.

Xavier
    Keymaster

Is it possible to outfit TSN ships with Ximni fighters? If it is, we could convert ximni fighters to TSN shuttles and equip all our current ships (Raven, Viper, Horizon etc), whilst still having the carrier, dreadnaught and juggernaught with standard TSN fighters.

Nhaima
    Participant

If the TSN ships were tagged as Ximni vessels in the vesselData.xml file (Side=7) then they would use Ximni fighters. If the Ximni fighters are then converted to be shuttles, then everything works out. The only differences I’m aware of would be the post-battle summary screen would list ‘Ximni ships destroyed X’ if a TSN ship got destroyed and if a TSN ship is ever equipped with a jump drive then it would get the combat jump normally available only to Ximni vessels.

Viewing 5 posts - 46 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.