The TSN Book Club – The Lost Fleet: Leviathan

Terran Stellar Navy Forums (OOC) The Mess Hall The TSN Book Club – The Lost Fleet: Leviathan

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Expree | Sci

Just a quick reminder that The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Leviathan is releasing May 5th for US and UK residents.

You can read the first chapter here if you like: http://www.jack-campbell.com/_series/lost_fleet/lost_excerpt_leviathan.htm

I just realized that I have not read the previous book, Steadfast, so I have some catching up to do.

We borrow some of our in-character mannerisms from The Lost Fleet and it adds to keeping in character (though not as much as Voyager does for me).

Does anyone else plan to read it?

Xavier
    Keymaster

I have read them all so far!
    The Lost Fleet, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier (including steadfast!) and The Lost Stars series.
    I will be getting the next in the series as soon as it is available.

Fulvus
    Participant

Am I right in starting with The Lost Fleet? Then continue with either The Lost Stars or Beyond the Frontier or both parallel?

Xavier
    Keymaster

Start with The Lost Fleet. At the end of that series, you can then read Beyond The Frontier and The Lost Stars in parallel. They both link in together, and personally, I quite enjoyed the overlap in stories that occurs. You get to see the other side of things that happen, and how events unfold in different areas at the same time.

Fulvus
    Participant

I’ve begun listening to the first book. Very captivating so far.

Fulvus
    Participant

I’ve listened to them all, except Leviathan, now. They’re quiet intriguing at some times but at other times very repetitive with even exact phrasing. I’m especially referring to the “Starward”-reference of a system.
    I like the alien confrontations/interactions.

I can recommend C J Cherry’s Foreigner Series, though I’ve only read the first trilogy. More of a human-meets-alien-race-society than space ships blazing guns.

I also want to recommend Alfred Bester’s “The Stars My Destination”, a well set timeless short novel.

Xavier
    Keymaster

I recently picked up a series of books called ‘The Black Fleet trilogy’ by Joshua Dalzelle. So far, only book one and two have been released, but they are an enjoyable read.

Fulvus
    Participant

Has anyone missed SyFy’s “The Expanse” tv-series? I recommend it warmly.

Edit: Yes, I know it’s not text but I thought we could expand (do half-puns need explanations?) this thread.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Fulvus.
    Matsiyan
    Participant

Also a CJ Cherryh fan here. The Foreigner series is great and the audio books are amazingly well read. For more in the way of space combat though see Downbelow Station, Merchanter’s luck, Rimrunner and other Alliance-Union books.

Quinn
    Participant

@Fulvus the Expanse is a great series, based on an awesome series of novels by James S.A. Corey, highly recommended. I love the way they deal with the future of humanity in such a realistic way, where we always end up being our own worst enemy.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.