Separate promotion tracks?

Terran Stellar Navy Forums (OOC) Division Development Separate promotion tracks?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Thantos
    Participant

I was looking at some historical records and I noticed a style used by several wet navy officer. Specifically they will put officers into two different tracks, technical and command.

Specifically this allows those who wish to command ships to have a specific path to take to command, and it also allows those who wish to just fill technical billets to avoid being promoted until they are more or less forced into command.

What is your opinion?

• This topic was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by Xavier.
    Zephyr
    Participant

I think it’s useful to be able to recuit senior officers from a wider group, if we narrowed who could be command officers to those who selected that path at the start we could end up missing out on good captains and xo 🙂

Flashheart
    Participant

Give me a Battlefleet to mount a candy-mining expedition into a black hole.

Fulvus
    Participant

Candy-floss de la Valière… You’re too sweet to lead a fleet.

Solari
    Participant

Command and Technical tracks work better in larger crews, and with enlisted personnel in the mix to begin with.

We don’t have either of these, so the difference between command technical officers isn’t relevant. To put it in easy to know Star Trek terms: We’re all just the bridge duty officers, (aka: Main cast.)
    Unless Artemis allowed us to play as an entire crew on a starship, instead of just the CO and 5 other consoles, there’s no point. We’re lucky to have an XO even though they don’t have their own duties, like TNG (Riker), as compared to TOS (Spock) where it’s just someone already on a ships station.

Now if we had doctors who treated the crew during emergencies (and let’s face it we’re always fighting!), scientists who studied planets, phenomena etc, engineers who could build things, and create items, enlisted personnel to fly small craft, fix the ship manually, man individual ship components to make them work more efficiently…it’s just going to be fluff for stories.
    (I like fluff, don’t get me wrong! I’m still erked we have no rank insignia and uniforms! Now that’s important.)

I digress. Maybe if we get bigger and have too many officers and ships this might become a concern. It wouldn’t be very fair to have a casual player who only shows up once in a few weeks/months ever take command of anything, eh. Talk about disruptive to a crew.

Flashheart
    Participant

Solari is one eloquent mofo.

But yes, he summed up my thoughts on the matter too. Maybe a list of people “interested” in command roles would be good? So if a spot opens up people can apply or picked from that list?

Xavier
    Keymaster

Senior officers are asked about what they would like to do when they reach that level and this is taken into account when selecting and assigning the permanent command posts. One big issue is lack of numbers for command positions. We simply don’t have enough regular members to warrant selecting a new command officer. So, if you’re an aspiring captain, get recruiting!

We do try to get people who can do it too. It might seem easy to captain, but when you sit in that chair, people often realise it is a lot harder then it looks. In charge of a TSN crew, and on a proper mission, things all seem to step up a level. Try running a ship alongside another and it begins to get even more challenging. Trying to lead a battle group is even harder ( just ask any of the command officers and XOs that have done it) and a coordinating multiple battlegroups and scouts… well that’s a breeze 😉

It is a lot more difficult than it seems, and with more potential command candidates it means we can pick the best. I think it important to have the best captains too, so crews get the best experience in game (we’ve all had, or heard of experiences with… inexperienced captains).

In the past, it has been difficult to select the next command candidate, and when we do, the most senior officers (those who are captaining a ship or highest ranking officers) have had lengthy discussions about it. One way not to get one btw is pestering us though! The best captains have been the best performing officers on a ship, doing their job to the highest possible standard ( and learning all others to the highest possible standard too). And that is true for all in command… including me. I trained myself in every role until I had virtually mastered it before I was happy to truely call myself captain.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.