replicators

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jemel Eahain

lets talk replicators,
    i always imagine TSN tec being similar to trek stuff but just not as advanced, since our ships dont run forever etc i always thing we are a bit behind even tos,
    so replecators have been spoken about by so many of our crews they pretty much have to be included as existing technology, lets bounce some ideas about to flush out how it all somes together.
    what i got so far-
    i still like the idea of having mess hall and galleys aboard ships but replicators can cater for the more exotic crew members better than the bland terran food served by the on board cook.
    second to that supplementing the crews diet with replicated food means less fresh stores needed to be kept onboard and less space needed for that.

the devices themselves i think should be a bit more bulky than the trek counterparts and rather than using energy to create everything i like the idea of the tsn replicators recycling matter to its element parts and reusing that mater to build what has been asked for, the smaller units can deal with food and small items like clothing etc, but there will be an industrial one in engineering that can produce more complex ship parts (thats why dam cons fix things so fast as the parts are quickly)

thoughts ?

Leonard Hall
    Participant

The way I think it, the galley has a row of replicators and the wardroom has a pocket one in the corner for food purposes. Doesn’t mean TSN donut rations are out of style though!

Reconstituting existing matter sounds intriguing.

Xavier
    Keymaster

Lol, just thought about the urine-recyc on Red Dwarf!

Recycling water is definatly current technology and therefore a credible idea that could be used on ships and bases. Having water recycling on a ship would be something we include.

The main issue I see with recycling food waste is the nutrients in the food. Having a source of fresh food would be essential on longer trips, though our shorter patrols mean we don’t have to carry that much. I can see us having a significant amount of highly nutritious compact military issue ration bars to suppliment foods too.

We could phase out the idea of using replicators. The only reason why we have them is because we have no other ideas to go off other than those seen in Star Trek. Potentially, ships could have a small area for growing highly nutritious foods (if I recall, insects are a very nutritious source of protein as well as things like fungus and lichens).

As for the industrial one, with the new technology in 3D printing and manufacturing, though we call them replicators, they could use that kind of technology. Basic ores and metals could be stored on the ship then used to manufacture new parts by sending them through a 3D printer. It is still a ‘replicator’ in a way, just using physical materials than converting energy.

Anyway, those are just alternative ideas to propose. We could have either and write our canon to fit.

Solari
    Participant

How did I miss this thread? lol.

Some fictional info on Star Trek replicators. They don’t solely use energy. They use ‘bulk matter’ (basically anything inorganic and organic), and then basically mini-transport into lifeless matter.
    It’s not like the holodeck where it’s simply energy converted into Photons. It’s matter to matter conversion. (And of course it doesn’t taste or act the same as the real thing.) That means if the ship runs out of excess matter, there’s no replicators. (Remember they had to be rationed on Voyager, since the bulk matter and power supply are not infinite.)

Aye, I read the old TNG tech manual many a times as a teen. As well as Mr. Scott’s guide to the Enterprise which dealt with the old synthesisers, pre-replication, but similar.
    TNG book
    Movie Era book

Summary:
    wiki

We could always just go for more of a (dare I say it?) ST: Enterprise feel, which is a mix of the old Galley (with hydroponics?), and a primitive TOS drink synthesiser? They were still making boots out of s**t and such.

The thing about our ships, as you’ve all mentioned is how short duration we are from bases, correct?
    Unlike Trek with it’s exploration missions that can last years, we’re usually close to the supply lines, or don’t stray too far from the known. I doubt the USFP is progressing our need for artificial goods, if we’re still limited to areas we have a presence/planets in, and traveling short distances. The transport service is still a major player, eh?
    We’d probably be more akin to Star Wars, now that I think about it. They do use food processor units of a kind, along with rations/real food. (They use sugars and carbohydrates to process into foodstuff, for instance on even light freighters.) Again, it’s still some type of limited supply base matter turned into something edible. It’s not unlimited.

Matsiyan
    Participant

Oh yeah! I missed this too. But Matsiyan’s espresso addiction fits right into this. I have been assuming that the replicators were more like 3D printers and that a lot of the chemical content was prepared in synthesizers behind the bulkhead connected via a hose delivering the various “inks”. It makes perfect sense that a lot of compounds could be synthesized and that some could not and would have to be carried as specific health supplements, though they could be automatically added to each crewman’s meals as they are ordered. But this leaves that vital gap in flavour and texture that makes the crew want to cook as slightly more than a hobby. I can see social events having a distinctly “barbeque” vibe and crew having their own particular personal stores of key goodies or ingredients from home. I imagine a halfway house between Firefly and Enterprise.
    Cheers.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘(OOC) TSN Canon Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.