Non-TSN Artemis

Terran Stellar Navy Forums (OOC) The Mess Hall Non-TSN Artemis

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Lewis Remmick
    Participant

My apologies for missing the shift yesterday. I was out trying to recruit more people to join us by introducing them to regular Artemis. Unfortunately, this didn’t go according to plan.

After getting all devices set up (we had at least one tablet in the mix, and they only have up to version 2.1.1), we couldn’t get anyone to connect to anyone else, no matter who tried to host.

I realize this isn’t a lot of information, but does anyone have any advice (or know the questions to ask to lead to advice) for how to make things work? I’ll admit to being less than godlike at network issues.

Thanks in advance. I think at least some of these folks would really enjoy you all and vice versa.

Jemel Eahain

How were you trying to conect every one ? Was it lan or over the net?

Lewis Remmick
    Participant

Over the net.

John van Leigh
    Participant

Two things, then:

1. Are absolutely sure you got the server to port forward properly?

2. Where did you get the server’s IP from?

Lewis Remmick
    Participant

1. No. I’m not certain. It was difficult to maintain interest with the other hurdles we had already overcome.

2. The IP address was listed on the host screen in Artemis, so we used that.

Xavier
    Keymaster

You likely used the local IP rather than the external IP. If you google ‘my IP’ on the host machine, it will give you the external IP to connect to – this is different to the local address shown on the server screen.

As mentioned above, you also need to forward your ports. Google ‘port forwarding’ and you’ll find a whole host of websites that can guide you through the process. You need to open and forward port 2010 for Artemis.

If you want to try and set it up ready for next time, just use the forums to ask for help and arrange a session with people to test the connection. There are a few people in the group who could guide you though the process, help test everything and troubleshoot any problems that occur. That way, next time you’ll be able to wow your audience and crack on with showing them how awesome the game is.

One thing re. the tablet. You will have to make sure all clients and the server are running unmodded Artemis 2.1.1 otherwise they will be met with the ‘wrong server version’ error message, or cause the server to crash. This is easily done on a computer – just install the 2.1.1 update over whatever version you are running and it will roll back or update all the relevant files.

Jemel Eahain

http://artemis.forumchitchat.com/post/best-port-fowarding-video-i-have-seen-yet-7470100?highlight=port+forward&pid=1287636241

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Jemel Eahain.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Jemel Eahain.
    Lewis Remmick
    Participant

Thanks for all the help. I’ll probably try to make it happen with the computers we have here at my place. Before the next time I try it. I have vacation in a couple weeks, so I’ll probably aim for then.

We did have the 2.1.1 version for the tablets.

Xavier
    Keymaster

If all computers are on the same network, you only have to enter localhost in the server address box. Note, it must be all one word.

Lewis Remmick
    Participant

Thanks everyone! I was able to run a test mission at my place today. It looked like the port-forwarding was the problem.

I was not, however, able to connect using localhost in the server address box. The IP address listed on the host computer did work.

Is there a reason to use (or not use) the TSN mod with other people I play with? I mean, if I play with them, and they don’t have to change their software to play with us if when they choose to, more the better!

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Lewis Remmick.
    Xavier
    Keymaster

To join us, they would need the server mod. As soon as a client switches to a custom ship, and client that is not running the mod will crash (it basically panics because the server relays a message, telling the client to select a ship that doesnt exist in the unmodded game files).

If you want to play with them, it should be fine as long as you use an unmodded client to set up the ship type.

Lewis Remmick
    Participant

Sorry, I think my question was unclear. Is there a reason to NOT use the TSN mod with all of the computers we play with? I mean, are there things in the mod that would make casual play with friends problematic?

John van Leigh
    Participant

Not really. If they have previous Artemis experience it’ll confuse them for one or two games, as the new ships can alter a lot of your planning (to be honest, it took me a month to adapt since I got back). But if not, despite it being somewhat more complicated to learn due to it having more elements, it’s the same than vanilla Artemis.

Matsiyan
    Participant

The only reason I can think of is that if you use tablets, there is no way of installing the mod on them. So you need to use plain 2.1.1 if you have to use tablets.

Otherwise, using the TSN mod does no harm and gets them ready for joining shifts.

Having said which, I keep a folder with the TSN mod installed, a folder of the latest version of Artemis and a folder with a vanilla 2.1.1 install so that I can jump into any kind of game.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.