New RP Idea: Division/Fleet Conference

Terran Stellar Navy Forums (OOC) Division Development New RP Idea: Division/Fleet Conference

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Xavier
    Keymaster

It is something my mind has been playing on to. I think we will simply have to see how thing fit together. Maybe stuff said in the bar could be set after the conference, though they play out parallel to one-another, almost like people recalling their memories from what happened. It is hard to explain…

Xavier
    Keymaster

OK, so the ball is rolling with the conference idea. So far it has been a lot of me talking, however I think that should be expected as I relay details of what is happening right now.

How are people finding it? I am trying to keep it moving along, with plenty of information in there. Do you feel you have opportunity to ask questions? Is there too much text or information to have to read through?

I would say it is still very much the beginning of the meeting. I have an idea about assigning a tasks to officers linking to intel and the device that we have in our possession now. That of course will come towards the end of the meeting.

Matthew Vaj
    Participant

I think it’s pretty realistic so far. When I think about Star Trek senior staff meetings, it seems like they follow a format along these lines (Parentheses indicate day that I propose we focus on each section should we choose to adopt it or something similar):

CO: (Sunday)
    Here’s the situation and intel I am aware of.
    Here’s the objective.
    Is there any other information we need to know to proceed and what suggestions/opinions do the officers have for the CO?

Officers: (Sunday-Wednesday)
    Additional intel.
    Question(s) about the situation.

CO: (Monday-Thursday)
    Response to questions.

Officers: (Tuesday-Friday)
    Additional comments.
    Suggested course(s) of action.

CO: (Friday-Saturday)
    Decision(s) announced.
    General orders to all officers.
    Orders given to specific officers.
    Dismiss officers.

We may not want to adopt this format completely, but it certainly seems very efficient to me. If you (or the ranking officer) gives us all the info you(they) know, then we can add to that if there is info not yet mentioned and ask questions, then suggest courses of action based on all the information.

So far we haven’t gotten very far in the meeting, so we’ll see how the rest play out, but there’s my two cents.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Matthew Vaj. Reason: Additional thoughts
    Blaze Strife
    Participant

Something along those lines might work, but I wouldn’t force it. If one wants to say something on the very first day (after Xavier alows it), one should be able to.

Matthew Vaj
    Participant

That is permissible given the guidelines I set, but of course those are rough guidelines anyways. Having concrete days to post things wouldn’t work well for a forum RP. My thought is that having this rough format would push the conversation to wrap up, covering everything we need to know, by the end of the week.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

Xavier’s sequencing (as it is now) might work well on it’s own. The question is if the rest of us should hop in with a topic we want to discuss, or wait until Xavier says something about it or gives a green light for other topics.

Matsiyan
    Participant

Not at all too much text to read. This is incredibly helpful. I have found it very difficult in the past to absorb and “make real” the mission in the few minutes of audio briefing. This helps a great deal.

Matthew Vaj
    Participant

So, are the fleet conferences going to continue? There hasn’t been one for the last couple weeks.

Adele Mundy
    Participant

I hope so. They’re helpful. But if Xavier doesn’t have the time, I don’t want to pressure him.

Matthew Vaj
    Participant

I suppose Xavier wouldn’t have to lead the briefings. Fish or Jemel, as Captains, could lead them just as effectively when Xavier can’t commit the time. Of course, they have other commitments as well in RL, so I don’t want to pressure anyone either.

And really, right now the main focus is the war with the Arvonians, so we already all have a basic idea of what’s happening. The briefings would just provide specific details of the nest duty shift’s mission(s).

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Matthew Vaj.
    Adele Mundy
    Participant

You’re right, the briefings could be delegated to another captain. I think one of the practical obstacles is that the senior officers have to have some idea of what we’re going to do before they can brief us, and sometimes they can’t decide what we’ll be doing until the officer meeting just before the start of the shift. If there’s a clear story arc, then the next mission is fairly easy to outline, but if we’re between major developments, the missions can be hazier. And some of what we can do is determined by how many people show up for the shift, and we can’t know that in advance.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.