Navy Security Department

Terran Stellar Navy Forums (OOC) Division Development Navy Security Department

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Blaze Strife
    Participant

So, this has been on my mind for quite a while now, but I either forget to ask or there’s not a good RP opportunity.

Now it’s a time of war, and I think it’s a great opportunity to ask.

How can one join the NSD?

Adele Mundy
    Participant

What does the NSD actually do? And does it need an Encyclopedia entry when that’s determined?

Blaze Strife
    Participant

I’ve seen it active a few times. I’m interested in it for RP purposes.

If it exists, it should be in the all-encompasing Encyclopaedia, right?

Matsiyan
    Participant

NSD was only talked about as an RP concept during the traitors within storyline.

Adele Mundy
    Participant

It would make sense in wartime too. And (maybe a slight bias here) everything needs to be in the Encyclopedia. Knowledge is power. It’s a question of what text to put in, and what category/heading/subheading. Since I’m not a librarian in RL, I’m making things up as I go along…

Leonard Hall
    Participant

The NSD is the internal security force of the Division itself (an overarching internal affairs unit would be the slightly unrelated Security Services Bureau) which played the role as the primary force against the traitors during the USF arc. NSD operatives’ jobs mainly revolve around vetting trouble and also general peacekeeping during downtime.

Chuck Finley was the elected head of the NSD force, and he appointed a few subordinates.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Leonard Hall.
    Blaze Strife
    Participant

Now I’m not even sure if I wanna join. I don’t want to be a “rat” or a “snitch”. 😛

Adele Mundy
    Participant

That’s right, Chuck Finley was in charge of NSD, I had forgotten. It’s still unclear to me, however, what NSD personnel would do, in character. Vetting trouble sounds rather nebulous. What access do they have? What authority do they have? Asking for the Encyclopedia, you know. 🙂

Leonard Hall
    Participant

This won’t hold during peacetime/downtime, but during times of suspected or confirmed sabotage/spy activity, NSD personnel have the authority to tap communications of and observe officers to ensure everyone is on the same team. If NSD knows someone is a spy, they have authority, once the proper paperwork is pushed through the Judge Advocate General’s office, to conduct an arrest on a suspect and begin questioning. NSD also has authority to order psychological evaluations on potentially mentally compromised personnel (like Expree when that alien device took him over).

// Some of the stuff NSD did to sniff out the spies during the arc.

Adele Mundy
    Participant

That’s exactly the kind of detail that can go into the Encyclopedia, thanks.

Adele Mundy
    Participant

NSD entry now in the Encyclopedia Draft document, let me know if you think it needs any changes or additions.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

Can we actually see the Draft?

Also, can anyone clearly tell me what the job of NSD is? Is it someone that sits in the bar, drinking with everyone, but actually trying to find out a spy? Or is it someone that’s more like a marine corpse when called upon? Because I was aiming for the latter.

Adele Mundy
    Participant

I don’t know if that needs special permission, I didn’t think so. There should be a link to the doc, but I’ll let @admin confirm. Here’s the text I put in, anyway:

Naval Security Department, (TSN)
    During times of suspected or confirmed sabotage/spy activity, NSD personnel have the authority to tap communications of and observe officers to determine loyalty and discover any enemy agents. If NSD personnel have proof that someone is a spy, they have authority, once the proper paperwork goes through the Judge Advocate General’s office, to arrest the suspects and begin questioning. The NSD also has authority to order psychological evaluations on potentially mentally compromised personnel: for example, Cmdr. Expree when he was psychically taken over by the Cosmic Icosahedron’s low-level psi-field during the Schroedinger Incident.

I think you mean Marine Corps. A marine corpse would be a sea-zombie, if it were capable of action… (Crazy English language)

Adele Mundy
    Participant

So the above led me to add an entry for the Schroedinger Incident. I am looking for more detail so that I can justify an entry for the Cosmic Icosahedron.

Making history, one paragraph at a time.

Also, note the “tap communications” bit. Mundy feels entirely justified in her use of the Memory Palace.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Adele Mundy. Reason: Added last paragraph
    Blaze Strife
    Participant

Yeah, Blaze is not a kind of character who’d like to join that kind of an organization.

EDIT: Thanks for sharing, though. 🙂

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Blaze Strife.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.