Medals on Teamspeak

Terran Stellar Navy Forums (OOC) Division Development Medals on Teamspeak

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Flashheart
    Participant

Hi all.

Seeing as teamspeak names count as our “uniform” with the ranks showing as an icon, I was wondering if you were considering doing the same with medals. Sort of the equivalent of having your ribbons on the chest of your uniform.

See the example below from something I’m working on for the Star Citizen org I’m part of. I’ll be more than happy to help transferring our current medals to icons for teamspeak.

Flashheart
    Participant

Clickable link to image seeing as wordpress has shrunk it.

View post on imgur.com

Solari
    Participant

I know nothing about the software side of all this. Anyone have thoughts there?

Myself, I love military fluff seeing as I was US Army. Don’t mind either way. Just don’t know if it’s a tad much, or ‘busy’ as artists like to say, on the teamspeak screen.
    Your example looks great though, as always Flash.

On a related subject though, could we get the current TSN rank insignias on the website? I can hardly see them on TS and would just love to see a bigger image of all of them for display.

Leonard Hall
    Participant

The issue with this is Teamspeak allows only one channel group to be applied to a user so we’d have to use servergroups,that and people with a lot of medals will rack up a lot of tags that could clutter their name. So there’s technical impossibilities and as you said artistic clutter to deal with.
    — LTJG Hall, Office of Naval Intelligence

Flashheart
    Participant

I don’t understand what you mean by tags. The icons obviously will be there and they position themselves cumulatively justified to the right with a left-to-right order of group id number.

I’ve seen this implementation on a lot of roleplay teamspeak servers for various games from ArmA Realism units to things like Star Wars the Old Republic. As someone who has spent around 5+ years dealing with teamspeak server administration I can honestly say it’s an easy and simple system to use once it has been set up.

Leonard Hall
    Participant

Tags being server groups with images. When you have too many on too small a screen, it starts cutting into names. Server groups would also appear outside of the TSN net channels as well. That’s the main issue.

Xavier
    Keymaster

Solari, the rank stripes could be set up the same way medals and ribbons are set up. They’d appear on you ‘Achievements’ as part of your profile.

Flashheart
    Participant

I don’t think having too many would be an issue because TSN doesn’t have that many medals and realistically nobody will have all of them. Your point of them showing up outside of the TSN RP channels is correct though, but personally I don’t think that would be a problem. That’s down to interpretation though as if you take the IC/OOC border on TS really seriously then it’s not a viable option.

Jemel Eahain

I’m interested flash, just a couple details to work out tho
    some of us have more than one bronze or silver star, how could we show that

What about the ribbons are you including those ?

• This reply was modified 8 years, 9 months ago by Jemel Eahain.
    Flashheart
    Participant

The way I’ve used it in the past is that the icons represent your uniform. On a uniform you’d only wear one of those medals, but in your personal record (in most cases the forums) it would state how many you actually have. This is usually the case with purple hearts among other things.

However, if you really wanted to show multiple medals with the server group then I see the best way to do it would be to make another server group with “Bronze Star x2” as the name and maybe a 2 somewhere on the icon.

Flashheart
    Participant

Also to answer your second question (I didn’t see it sorry) I’d guess so. You can add whatever rewards/medals/ribbons you want to the system. The example I’ve shown in the image has a couple of medals and ribbons intermixed.

Jemel Eahain

ill have a look, it might be too much to show the icons next to the username but under the server group joned bit should be fine

Jemel Eahain

i like that solari about the ranks on the forum, ill see if there is a way for the awards to organise themselves as it would be messy i think to have ranks in the middle of awards

Thantos
    Participant

Is there a ribbon priority so that if we make an image that has all of the ribbons together we know what order to put them in?

Jemel Eahain

Not officially thantos,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.