Log van Leigh 30416-2237

Terran Stellar Navy Forums Personal Logs Log van Leigh 30416-2237

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    John van Leigh
    Participant

Personal log
    Lieutenant Commander John van Leigh, TSN.
    Stardate 30416-2237

A senior officer’s work is never quite done. Finishing reports, attending briefings… Despite my permanent posting as Dauntless’ XO, I spent the last weeks switching back and forth between my usual chair and a command posting on Hunter. I was there when we requested assylum to the Hjorden, and now we’re working as a security layer for them.

I don’t mind working to earn my stay. Combat always clears my mind, and that’s more welcome now than ever: it seems I caught some sort of viral neurological disease over here which is causing me to faint every now and then. The good side is that I managed to steal an eyepatch from sickbay. I’m not taking off that one.

My first job of the evening was to take Hunter for a ride. After making arrangements with the DO to get an executive officer of my own (not that the cadets I had were bad, but I needed someone prepared to keep watch in case I lost consciousness) we sailed in a couple of sims, that although our performance wasn’t quite brilliant, it was good enough. Or would be, if not for the frequent computer failures we had due to compatibility issues with our hosts’ network.

Then I commandeered Dauntless, as I was getting reports of Commander Brenner being tasked with something else and his acting XO, the always competent Lieutenant-junior Quinn, showing early signs of the same virus that was bothering me. Happy to leave Hunter in the trustworthy hands of Lieutenants Far and Wade, I left for the oversized carrier prepared to face the worst.

Other than our wing commander, ensign Feil, we have little interest among our personnel to do fighter duty. There’s always someone, but if we couple that to our recent technical difficulties, it became really complicated to deploy a full wing at all times, and it showed. Other than that, my crew proved to be as amazing as always. Not only were there the familiar faces of Quinn, Blaze and Feil, but we had an excellent team with the eventual participation of Zephyr and Assassino from our flight deck, and the addition of Ensign Slate, an incredibly skilled strategist and scicomms officer who once was a student of del Pino himself (say what you want about his morals, the man was damned scary in command), and one of her former Academy classmates, Cadet Katarina.

At this point is when we were given real work. Intercepting and destroying a Kralien-Skaaran joint raid was a piece of cake, despite some concerning transponder issues on Montgomery. When we added pirates into the mix, we did little more than blast them from long range, our memories quite fresh regarding what those Gatlings can do to smallcraft. We sank a few more ships, it’s true, than some well-bred officers ought to do. But at least we’re not going against the people we called our brothers-on-arms ’till recently. I know I can wreck most opposition, but it’s quite disturbin to kill someone who might have been a former shipmate.

At the end of this we encountered what was labeled “a high graviton reading”, which prompted us to sigh, in tones that ranged from bored resignation to nervous anxiety, “caltrons”. While the rest of the fleet dealt with some more pirates, Dauntless stood her guard next to an unknown gate. A couple minutes after a ship came through. I issued the standard orders: load homing, shadow the ship beyond predicted beam range, and hail requesting ID. I was shocked -shocked!- that it was Xavier on a Ximni light cruiser. Alive. I’m not going to say more on this matter, as I didn’t have the time to fully absorb this new information, but things are getting complicated.

Adele Mundy
    Participant

//Is there a No-Prize for the Pirates of Penzance reference (I sink a few more ships, it’s true / Than a well-bred monarch ought to do) or is that too easy?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 12 months ago by Adele Mundy.
    John van Leigh
    Participant

//Sure! Extra rations of little mint-filled security chocolates for getting the references!

Adele Mundy
    Participant

//Security chocolates! They’re the best kind when facing Caltrons!

Feil
    Participant

//Good log entry. I liked the part about me.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

//We don’t see your logs often. Why is that?

//”viral neurological disease over here which is causing me to faint every now and then” Nice explanation for the connection issues. 😀

John van Leigh
    Participant

//Because my memory is really bad and I’m too lazy. Sometimes by the end of a mission I don’t even remember how it started, so I have to write everything after the session. And normally I’m too tired at the end to try. Besides, when you’re in command your observations tend to shift towards your subordinates (you need to pay attention if you want to defrief properly), and your log turns into, as you can see here, “A did great, B is good…”.

Adele Mundy
    Participant

//I think it isn’t a problem if people writing logs don’t remember all the details. The effect of reading logs from people on different ships, who remember different things, creates an interesting mosaic effect. It could even help the GMs decide what to include in future, as it gives them feedback on what was most striking. And the perspective of a commanding officer is also useful, not just to their bridge crew, but to all players.

John van Leigh
    Participant

//Right, then, I’ll try and write some more from now on. Thanks for the comments!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.