HMS Marulken

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Fulvus
    Participant

I found this project on Kickstarter:

HMS Marulken

A Swedish sub-simulator in Artemis style set in an alternative WW2-setting.

Solari
    Participant

*shrugs* I’m going to sound so negative and critical, sorry. :/

One thing I’m not keen on is why is the Intel officer (radar/sonar, comms), steering the sub? Shouldn’t that be the Navigator, who should know where they are, and is just looking at the map anyways? (Actually, the helmsman is a separate station on a submarine to being with, but whatever it’s cool.)

Looks like more than half of the game (like most subs) would just be the traveling time. Das Boot was a long movie even with them omitting that. (not complaining, love that movie!)

And what about the ship if it gets damaged, how detailed does the Engineer go? Is there an NPC crew to help manage things like the fuel or torpedo loadings?
    Yet Sweden? Love that country, but not for anything military related. That’s like playing some ‘alternate time’ Canadian sub in WWII. *scratch head* (“Ya Captain. We need to go aboot, and smoke some bacon on those U-boots now eh. What, we got hit? Bless the Germans, they’re always sending us gifts eh, how nice of them. Load the maple syrup tubes!”)

No. Not enough to grab my attention. Good theory: Submarine simulator that’s beyond the old Silent Hunter, 1 player micro-management.
    But the alpha needs ‘stuff’ to do. Right now 4 people drinking and going in circles is something I could do in a bar. A board-game would be more fun.

Ok, so that was a bad review. Having typed all of that, like I said, I love the concept. And I’m sure coding a depth/distance submarine game is heaps harder then a 2-d space game! So good on the developers for that, especially just for a university project.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Solari! My name is Oscar, and I’m the programmer on the HMS Marulken project. I read your comment, and you make many good points. I’ll try to explain why the game works the way it does!

The intelligence officer is indeed not supposed to steer the ship. This was a last minute change we made, since the intelligence officer didn’t have much to do in the old version of the game. This is mostly because we made the intel officer last, so very little time was spent on making that position work well.

The time spent traveling will of course depend on the mission, but a big part of the game is navigating the sea.

The role of the Engineer is not really to repair the ship, it’s mainly a resource management role (ie managing the ship’s batteries, making sure you have enough oxygen etc). The game won’t have any NPC crew members.

The reason you play a Swedish sub, and not for example a German one, is that we wanted to give the game a lighter tone. We wanted to make an alt-history game because it opens up new possibilities for interesting scenarios, but also because it distances the game from the tragedy of the second world war.

The reason we are running a Kickstarter is that the game is in an alpha stage, and we want to give it a lot more depth and content than we could in the short time we worked on it in university.

I will be happy to answer any further questions you have about the game.

/Oscar

Xavier
    Keymaster

Hi Oscar, would you be joining us to take part in our duty shift?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m not sure I follow. Are you asking me if i’ll play artemis with you guys?

Xavier
    Keymaster

Yes.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.