Department Name

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Matsiyan
    Participant

Commander Jemel wanted to refer to this department during a shift but we did not have an in-canon reference. May I propose DCXA, the Department of Cultural Xeno-Anthropology. That seems to cover a lot of what we have been discussing.

Fish Evans

Its a little restricting, some of what we do is also about tech and things that have happen in the past either directly or indirectly effecting us.

Matsiyan
    Participant

I am tempted to argue that tech is merely an expression of culture and that (Xeno)Anthropology includes the effects of the passage of time. We are just looking for an in-character way of referring to the Canon Development Group, since I broke character while poor Jemel was trying very hard to stay in while encouraging junior officers to participate in any and all aspects of the TSN’s work. 🙂

Here are a few more suggestions. Do any of them spark an idea?

The Future History Foundation?
    The Second Foundation?
    The Department of Galactic Affairs?
    The Galactic Research Department?
    The Magrathean Engineering Works?
    Zarniwhoop’s Office?
    Deep Thought?

Xavier
    Keymaster

In the past we had a ‘Division Archives’ department. Basically, the idea was that they recorded and stored everything known – personal logs, technical specs, ship data etc etc. It isn’t a particularly ‘sexy’ title, but it did serve as a suitable reference.

Matsiyan
    Participant

I understand why that works but it lacks the creative drive of discovery which is actually part of the fun. Effectively the department is researching (inventing, collating, extrapolating, interpolating) the culture of the USFP region of the galaxy, by which I mean the history, current affairs, trade, politics, geography/astrography, planetary science, biology, physics and mythology of the local piece of the universe.
    It is almost the “Royal Society” of our time investigating Natural Philosophy and the Humanities 🙂

Fish Evans

Humm the Scientific & Cultural Investigation Branch/Division (SCIB)/(SCID)?

The Department of Technology and Culture? (DTC)

Committee for the Liberation and Integration of Terrifying Organisms and their Rehabilitation Into Society (CLITO … uh never mind)

Matsiyan
    Participant

Is this the department which is applied for as “Archive and Records Officer” in which case do we want it to be the Office of Archive and Records? Similar to ONI.

Leonard Hall
    Participant

This would be the closest analog to the Archives and Records Department that is actively serviced today that I’d be aware of.

Jemel Eahain

Archives and records is an inactive department currently, we used to have a senior officer monitor transfer requests etc,
    I quite like the sound the department of culture and technolgical research (CTR)

Matsiyan
    Participant

CTR sounds good to me.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘(OOC) TSN Canon Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.