Change to late shift sims?

Terran Stellar Navy Forums (OOC) Division Development Change to late shift sims?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Aramond
    Participant

There’s a routine to the shifts, I’ve found.

-Starting off with sims so that crews can warm up/get used to working with each other. //Any mistakes made don’t reflect on the Canon.
    -Going into missions that progress the storyline of the TSN. //Get gudt or get rekt.
    -Followed by a break where officers all meet up in the Galley or Wardroom.
    -Ending with more sims to use up remaining time.

What I propose is a change to the ending sims. What if the crews were changed around during them so we could get used to working with different crews and command styles? I feel pretty confident that this would help everyone gain more experience as a whole. Especially after my incident on the Montgomery last shift. //Stay tuned for a log, space fans!

Xavier
    Keymaster

I like that idea, and you are right about the structure of the duty shift.

The first sim is intended solely to organise and settle crews. It gives us a change to get ships properly staffed and people to practise before the main mission. With some not having a permanent assignment, or being new to the group, it allows that settling in period to get “up to speed”. Finally, it is a “systems check” to make sure everyone is able to connect and has the latest updates installed.

The missions usually follow this period, as at that point we have managed to work out most issues and everyone is ready.

The end of the shift often sees sims. I think having crews mix around will be beneficial. For one, it will allow people to try out (or brush up on) another role. Remember, the proper requirement of a Lt. is to be proficient in ALL roles and have an expertise in BOTH their primary and secondary choices. It will give the chance for those aspiring to be a Lt to develop their expertise in another area, and it will give Lts the chance to keep up to standard. Cadets will also have the chance to switch around too.

Again, a cadet is expected to be proficient in one area of expertise and have a working knowledge of ALL roles on a ship, with at least some experience playing each role (note; speak to Jemel about being stricter on this!) I’ll also point out that this is a requirement in the TSN RP Community, whatever your starting experience. You should technically have played in every role during duty shifts – playing outside of shifts doesn’t count because it is about the protocols and procedures we use as much as it is about operating the console.

Changing around officers between crews as well could also prompt people to consider a transfer. Playing with the same crew for a period is important (essential even!) but at the same time, though we follow the same protocols and procedures, different type ships and different commanding officers have an impact on how a ship operates and how the crew interact. Just the personalities of the captains can make a difference. We used to have an excellent captain that was very firm and direct. Her ship ran smoothly and the crew were exceptionally well coordinated. It wasn’t for everyone, but those who did join the crew and enjoyed that style really thrived. Other captains have a more relaxed style to their command, but again have very well coordinated crews that are more than equal to the task.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

I agree with everything you wrote, but I must say that the sims after missions are too late for me, since it’s over 1am at the time.

Also, during the initial sims and the mission, I’m always on the Weapons, since that’s my primary and I’m very good at it (it may be immodest of me to say so, but all the captains I’ve served under have said so). Therefore, I don’t think it’s beneficial for anyone to put me on a station that I have little experience with. I suppose this is the case with some other players, as well.

The only way of fixing this that I see are games outside of normal shifts or forcing different stations during the initial sims. Thoughts?

Aramond
    Participant

The thing about the after-mission sims is that their mainly there for us to squeeze a bit more fun out of the remaining time. So if you’re adamant about not swapping stations, especially as an ensign, I don’t think anyone would make you.

However, it would be a fantastic chance to learn more in a (mostly) stress-free environment. More so when the rest of the crew is learning right alongside you.

What I’d recommend for you as a Weapons officer is to give either Science or Helm a try, as both roles benefit from having tactical experience. You may want to avoid engineering for the time being. Knowing the other roles is rather important before tackling that beast.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

I do want to try other roles, but the problem is that I can only try them in the initial sims, since I’m barely awake for the after-missions sims. So I would have to be adamant about not being on my primary for the initial sims. Do you think that’s a problem?

Xavier
    Keymaster

I don’t see it being a problem. Just make sure the commanding officer knows.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

Great! Thanks!

Expect a lot more exploding ships in the sims! 😛

Jemel Eahain

What we done on Lancer was deliberately mix it up for the first sims, we looked at them like training sims and on mission everyone is back on primary station because we know every one knows what there doing,
    If your really good on one station for sims get off and do something else don’t worry about not doing your best, you won’t get better if you don’t practice.

Jemel Eahain

What if we run more training/exercises sims at the beginning to mix things up before going out on missions? Instead of doing full fleet sims all night we start some stations training with the instructors and the rest of the crews mix things up and work on different things, then we come together for a fleet sim before going out on live missions ?

Aramond
    Participant

I really like this idea, Jemel! We could even use this as a sort of unofficial R&D time, where the more experienced officers can help working things out like testing out new tactics, or figuring out how we can use carriers/fighters & Ximni ships more effectively.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

I like the idea, Jemel.

Matthew Vaj
    Participant

I also like this plan. As Blaze suggested, we could also have other opportunities during the week for more sims. Even if only four or five people can come, that’s still enough to run a single ship smoothly. I’d suggest only an hour or two instead of four though if we adopted on this.

Adele Mundy
    Participant

I like the training exercise idea too.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.