Academy training duration

Terran Stellar Navy Forums (OOC) The Mess Hall Academy training duration

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Adele Mundy
    Participant

How long does Academy training take, typically? I’m trying to sort out a timeline for Adele’s backstory, and from what I can see in other backstories it seems to take between one and three years. Opinions, and reasons for them? Thanks in advance.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by Adele Mundy.
    Blaze Strife
    Participant

I don’t think I’ve seen it set in stone anywhere.

Udae
    Participant

Until we hear otherwise, I might posit: as long as a piece of rope.

How long you are there, depends on how long you NEED to be there. Different people might graduate at different rates, depending on competency, skills coming in, etc.

Udae
    Participant

Furthermore, there might be a matter of how many classes outside your specialty you might be interested in taking. Are you looking to be involved in R&D, ONI, or other sub-branches that might require additional training?

This would allow for a great deal of variety, and people’s personal storylines could match their needs.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

If we think of the Academy as a collection of courses, rather than a 20th-21st century university, then the time it takes to complete the minimum or the chosen courses could vary greatly.

A genius would be able to complete 10 courses in a month, while an average student could take a whole year for that.

Perhaps the time taken, along with the choice of courses and the grade in each would reflect on the position the attendee is given upon graduation. Those who take too long end up in DamCon teams, for example.

Adele Mundy
    Participant

All good ideas, thank you. I like the thought of a modular structure and a flexible time for completion, it fits with having candidates from a variety of backgrounds who would have different levels of skill and education, it also has the advantage of not constraining anyone else’s backstory.

Jemel Eahain

blaze dam con teams would be made up from enlisted crew, basic crewmen to petty officers,

something i written down about my thought on academy training, it merges back story rp with your first weeks in the fleet

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DEYx2Sv8rdrLJHlyySxS_zUJB-SK7lxHXGsj_EgghDY/edit?usp=sharing

Adele Mundy
    Participant

Thank you!

Blaze Strife
    Participant

Thanks for that! It’s quite interesting. ABLE, ALE and ISA, huh? 😛

Adele Mundy
    Participant

Aha! The Encyclopedia begins to prove its usefulness! Here is the answer to my question about how long Academy training lasts:

“There are two options when joining the TSN; join as enlisted personnel, or as an officer. Most new recruits join as enlisted personnel, taking on a particular trade within the TSN. Enlisted personnel are put through a basic training programme, after which they join other TSN enlisted in an apprenticeship-style scheme, training on the job.
    Those who join as officers complete a basic training programme, alongside those who joined as enlisted personnel. After this basic training programme, they are then sent to the TSN Academy for between 2 and 4 years to continue their officer training. Officers then leave the academy with the rank of Cadet, and complete their final stage of their training on active duty. When an officer is promoted to Ensign, it signifies they have officially completed the training for officer and are regarded as full officers serving in the TSN.”

Blaze Strife
    Participant

Nice!

Matsiyan
    Participant

Excellently useful!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.