The rank of Ensign is the first full officer rank that can be gained after graduation from the TSN academy. An Ensign is expected to be able to operate any console at a basic level and have a good knowledge of the standard orders used aboard a TSN vessel, such as the Combat Orders. At the rank of Ensign, an officer can begin to specialise in a particular role aboard a TSN vessel.
To be promoted to the rank of full-Ensign and officer must have:
- Experience in multiple roles aboard a TSN vessel;
- An officer must have served in both their primary and secondary area of expertise aboard an active TSN vessel.
- The officer must know how to operate in each role at a basic level.
- Specified an area of primary expertise;
- An officer must have selected a primary area of expertise and have extensive experience serving in that role.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Combat Orders;
- An officer must know all the combat orders and be able to explain, in general terms, what the order communicated to the crew.
- An ensign must know what is required of their selected area of expertise when a particular combat order is given.
- Knowledge and understanding of standard TSN protocol and procedures;
- An officer must have an understanding of the rules and regulations of the TSN.
- An officer must have an understanding of how to address fellow officers.
- Developed a clear and professional manner of communicating;
- An officer must communicate using standard communications protocol during missions and simulations.