TSN Viper and Horison ship icons

Terran Stellar Navy Forums (OOC) Division Development TSN Viper and Horison ship icons

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Aramond
    Participant

Hmmm, the snake doesn’t necessarily have to look fierce. Let’s face it, no one would feel threatened by the fantastic Horizon shields that you’ve mocked up. My main worry about an oroboros is that it would look overly symmetrical.

John van Leigh
    Participant

The ouroboros has its own symbology, but even understanding that it feels wrong to have a snake eating itself in our insignia, as seen multiple times in this division that kind of thing hits too close to home.

We’re probably better off copying old heraldic designs that we *know* worked. Otherwise, the head alone is the one that works best.

Adele Mundy
    Participant

I agree with van Leigh, the Ouroboros is one of those mystical death-and-rebirth symbols that’s more appropriate in an alchemist’s lab than on a spaceship.

Still not clicking. Thanks, Quinn!

Still totally with Indy on this. Though the man had the Scriptwriter On His Side advantage: the way he made that Will save, it must have been a critical!

Adele Mundy
    Participant

And Matsiyan just pointed out that if we wanted to go with snakes for the Apollo class ships, we could have kept to classical names like Medusa and Gorgon; to which I would add Typhon and Echidna. We can keep them in mind for the future! Not that we should be going through that many ships, of course, or the Fleet Quartermaster is going to have Serious Words with us.

John van Leigh
    Participant

I was the one that argued against restricting to a theme with the names during the meeting. We could go with mythology, of course, but light cruisers are supposed to be the backbone of the fleet, there is no real need to hold back with naming if there’s gonna be a lot of them. Still, to be honest, I have no idea how Viper ended up in the list, and I agree it sounds somewhat lightweight, almost scouty. But it *is* appropiate, as I’m quite proud of the bite my ship has.

Quinn
    Participant

@maurice do you have thoughts on the Horizon logo? Unless @fishevans is able to pop in, I think you’re the current highest ranking officer on the Horizon.

As for the Viper, what do you all think of these various example of snakes in heraldry (Mundy- these are all line drawings, if that is bearable for you): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Maybe something where the snake is slithering around/between the stars? Alternatively, we could find other charges to use besides just stars on these things.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 9 months ago by Quinn.
    Blaze Strife
    Participant

I think the snake-head shield you made is good enough.

Or numbers 3 and 4.

Matsiyan
    Participant

The head alone is the most dramatic.

Adele Mundy
    Participant

Thank you, those line drawings are safe. Maybe because it’s very clear they’re not the real thing. You’d think photos would be safe, I mean, I know perfectly well they’re 2-dimensional representations and they’re not going to do anything, and sometimes they’re just shivers-down-the-back creepy, and sometimes they’re worse. I don’t really undestand what makes the difference.

Anyway, I agree with either the head alone, or 3 or 4.

Quinn
    Participant

OKAY so rather than having everybody weigh in one by one, making it hard to collect responses, I made a poll on Google Forms, everybody please add your opinion here!

Quinn
    Participant

So far it looks like Horizon 4 (blue earth) is narrowly edging out its competition and Viper 2 (head only) is tied with a prospective Viper 4 (the snake within the circle). Since I won’t have access to design software this weekend, I figured I’d mock up a full version of Viper 4 for you to look at and consider. Everybody should continue voting though, we’ve only had 5 respondents as of this post!

Viper 4:
    TSN Viper 4

Adele Mundy
    Participant

Actually, the new Viper 4 looks really cool, so I’ve changed my vote – we’re not sticking to Brexit rules, are we?

Matsiyan
    Participant

I voted for Horizon 5 (I like the dark blue) and Viper 4 (better than the head alone).
    Don’t forget the captain gets more votes than anyone else 🙂

Aramond
    Participant

If you want more votes, you could always put the poll up during shift tomorrow.

Adele Mundy
    Participant

Vote early, vote often!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.