TSN Encyclopedia

Terran Stellar Navy Forums (OOC) The Mess Hall TSN Encyclopedia

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Xavier
    Keymaster

This morning, I thought up an idea that may aid us in compiling all the information we have about the TSN Universe that we have created into one document – create an Encyclopedia. This would bring together all the ideas that are seen as confirmed and accepted “official” canon for our group.

I have started up a google document for the encyclopedia, and have some ideas already about what to put in there. The thing is, there is so much information to compile, it would be a mammoth task for me alone. As a result, I am looking for people who would want to help write, gather or contribute entries into the encyclopedia.

Currently, there is a lot of information floating about that just doesn’t fit anywhere. For example, Jemel wrote up some information about different engineering systems that was going to go on a web page. There are also little bits of information about sector grids, alien races, data pads etc. To put these on the site means either having one massive page, or having lots of little pages with links. Instead, I thought it would be more appropriate to collect the information together in the encyclopedia.

I need to assemble a small team to actually write and mange the encyclopedia – adding new entries and keeping it up-to-date. As for contributions, I think I can set up a forum/topic thread where people could post up possible additions or amendments. They could be reviewed by the encyclopedia team and myself and then added or adapted as necessary.

If you’d like to be part of the writing team, then send me a message. I am looking for people with good writing and editing skills who can contribute the time and effort to review entries. You need to be active in our group and be able to regularly check an update the encyclopedia. You also need to be prepared to conduct further research to gather information currently out there, including information on our website and official canon created by Mike Substelny (note though, whilst we follow most official canon, we do not follow all of it). Preferably, you will have a good knowledge of the current canon for our group.

As for making a contribution – look out for a forum or thread where you can post ideas! As we build the encyclopedia, it would be useful for contributors to first check for current information so as not to contradict any current canon. Right now, there is a lot of information out there already, so it would probably be best to hold off on some ideas until the Encyclopedia gets going.

Xavier

Blaze Strife
    Participant

This is a very interesting idea, and I’d love to see it come to fruition. Unfortunately, I do not have the time or the knowledge to fully commit to the editting team. I will do my best to contribute to the forum topic with additions or amendments, so I can be at least of some help.

Adele Mundy
    Participant

I’d be interested in being part of the team.

Udae
    Participant

As would I.

Xavier
    Keymaster

Ah excellent, a couple of volunteers. Udae, Mundy, would you be interested in writing stuff to be included in the Encyclopedia? I can contact you through the week and start digging through all thr information. It’ll just need organising and typing up then. After that, as we get contributions,bew stuff will need adding. I’ll send you links to all the information I can find over PMs. In the meantime, should you wish to make a start, write up a couple of smaller entries that could go in.

Datapad
    A small, handheld pad for interfacing with TSN ship systems. The datapad fits onto the various consoles around a ship, allowing officers to interact with various ship systems.

Matsiyan
    Participant

I would also be interested to contribute. I don’t have the time or writing chops that Mundy has, but I can at least assist with research and editing.

Feil
    Participant

I’d also be interested in throwing my ideas at the wall to see what sticks.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

As far as I can see, the editting team is not about creating ideas, but rather about collecting them. The ideas are made in the personal logs, duty shifts, etc. Not all ideas become cannon, but some (or most) do. The Encyclopedia team would need to collect those ideas and input them into the document.

We can add more ideas in the appropriate forum topic, once Xavier makes it and gives us green light to fill it.

Xavier
    Keymaster

Blaze has pretty much got it spot on. The editing team need to write up the ideas in a nice clear way though.

I should be able to set up a forum this week (perhaps tonight). I was looking at making it a sub-forum of the Canon department forum, however those forums need to be edited/ removed as they are hidden and not well used.

Feil
    Participant

Okay, I can still help with archiving ideas. So where will we pull from?
    Logs, TSN Canon, Artemis Forum, Artemis Wiki, and Official Manual?

Xavier
    Keymaster

Work has started now on the TSN Encyclopedia. Mundy has already been able to pick out some of the information sent across and input it into the encyclopedia.

As it builds up more, I’ll release the official version and link it on the site. I am sure it will make for interesting reading! Particulalry for those of you interested in the life of a tsn officer.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

Great!

Xavier
    Keymaster

Mundy has been working away on transferring information into the Encyclopedia. Check out the official released version of the encyclopedia here:

TSN Encyclopedia

More content will be added continuously and eventually I will open up a forum for people to make suggestions that could contribute to the encyclopedia. It could be as short as a single sentence detailing something and clearing it up to a whole species profile. All will be reviewed and considered before being added, so is not guaranteed to be in there. Everything that does go in there is considered official canon for our group!

Hope you guys enjoy reading this!

Blaze Strife
    Participant

Wow! Nicely done!

EDIT: Btw, if would be beneficial to add a changelog of sorts, so we can know what entries have been added or updated in each version of the document.

EDIT: Just read the document, and I love it. The description of the bridge is excellent, and will support further RP. The arrangement of officers can have some very interesting consequences on how we communicate on the bridge.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Blaze Strife. Reason: changelog idea
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Blaze Strife. Reason: Read it
    Xavier
    Keymaster

I did have a very simple diagram of the bridge somewhere too. It would be cool if someone out there with the right skills could turn it into a proper looking bridge layout using the information about the Bridge and the Datapads.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.