The importance of RP in TSN

Terran Stellar Navy Forums (OOC) Division Development The importance of RP in TSN

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Adele Mundy
    Participant

@Xiph: Lancer is awesome. I love the crew dynamics on board, and I think they gain a lot from being a pretty regular crew. I also think that moving between ships and missing one’s previous ship and crew is part of Navy life, and another thing we can RP. Mundy is working harder on fleet comms on Raven, and that is also awesome.

@Matthew Vaj, the Phoenix crew is brilliant at the battle comms and TSN protocols. What I meant was, you’re doing RP already, more than half the time; the next step isn’t very difficult, if it’s something you might enjoy.

(Your friendly neighbourhood RP pusher: here, try this, the first hit is free…)

Quinn
    Participant

Not to pile on, but I definitely want to weigh in here, since I think this discussion is super important and the RP is the main reason I continue to make time for TSN every week. For me, I like it for the same reasons I like D&D or other tabletop RP games; I get to pretend I’m something different for a while. I’m a pacifist IRL, so I’ll never experience the rigor or discipline of military life for real, but it’s interesting to me to imagine what it would be like. In space no less!

The important thing to recognize, however, that this is not the same for everyone. D&D 5E has broken this down as the “Three Pillars” of roleplaying (Social Interaction, Exploration, and Combat) where each player gravitates to different combinations of those three things in different quantities. I think that model applies here, where everyone’s individual tastes tend to steer them in a different direction. I don’t want to “yuck any yums” as it were, or spoil anyone else’s enjoyment just because it’s not my own.

This discussion is super valuable, because it lays out where everyone’s preferences lie. Knowing what my fellow community members are here for is the first step towards respecting their enjoyment (perhaps even enhancing it), and making sure not to get in the way of it, just as I hope they’ll do for me.

For me personally, the game of Artemis is a pretty shallow experience. Once you’ve played one Border War, you’ve played them all. That’s one of the reasons I stopped attending the Tuesday Night Eastern Front group (no offense to that lovely group of people). Adding in a GM’d story and roleplay elements, however, is exactly my cup of tea, and keeps me coming back every week. For instance, when the crew of the Hydra used to riff off of one another and improvise in-universe reasons to explain away RL technical difficulties, that was when I decided I would stay.

Since that’s not necessarily true for everyone, I pursue crews who also like that, and will enhance my enjoyment of it. As much their play style is not really my cup of tea, I’m extremely glad the crew of the Phoenix has found each other, because I’m sure they’d enjoy themselves less in a different environment.

That’s why I think it’s super important to shuffle crews frequently, to find out which officers you enjoy working with. With the awards ceremony coming up (and presumably the start of a new “campaign”) perhaps now is a perfect time to experience as many different crews as possible. Even if people end up working with mostly the same people, I like the idea that they chose a crew they knew they’d enjoy being on.

TL;DR- To each his own, I guess.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Quinn.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Quinn.
    Blaze Strife
    Participant

Gotta say, loved the amount of RP on the 1st mission, with the abandoned TSN destroyer and the bio-mechs.

(Writing this after the server crash in the middle of 1st mission, before anything else happened.)

Tuor Elanesse
    Participant

So since my name was mentioned, i think i have a right to say some words. First of all this is my mail that i sent to Xavier about my return to the community after a long break:

Hey old friend. How are you?It’s Tuor.
    I stopped playing last year because of my new work everything was hard no time to do things. I moved my house lots of things happened in my life and now getting married. everything seems on track so i wanted to rejoin and play. I missed the crew. I ve been in touch with some of them still.

Can you enlist me?

Hey, how are you? yeah i enlisted again and i am active in the comms net. I wonder is there a chance for me to get my old rank back?
    I do not want to mess with the system, do not want to captain a ship or if you want do not put me in command staff and meetings. I just do not want to start over again as cadet or lower ranked soldier.

We can sell it as if i have been held hostage by the enemy all this time or brainwashed or something else. I can catch up with the new stuff easily since i have basic knowledge and i am experienced at playing. Officially i was a Commander i suppose.

As you can see I did not want a ship or anything else. I ve just wanted my old rank back and a cooldown period to catch up with new things in the community. Fish can confirm these because i also explained these things to him as well. However, when there is no one outranks me while we are in missions; as as XO and a Commander it is my duty to take the command of my assigned ship. If available i can even be a fleet commander, because this is my duty and my rank forces me to do so.

Dear Blaze, We have been flying with you just for 2 or 3 duty shifts right? Do you believe this is a suitable time to evaluate my performance? I commanded TSN Hawk for a long time and for nearly 1.5 years i was an XO before worked with great captains. These people gave me this rank because they saw me capable and ready for it. And i ve done nothing wrong to put flights in danger. No one explained new things to me i needed to learnd them as we go and i got adapted.

About my RP:
    I am friend with everyone in here, i like them and i hope they like me back. They know me well and i know them too.All the people here have a real life beside this game. Sometimes i might get bored and drop RP, or maybe i am too god damn tired and i got slacky about it. Sometimes when there are new players or there is a slow mission it is good to ease the tension or the boredom while playing by getting slightly out off character. I know it because i got enough experience with other people.
    I can question Verok’s actions or even talk back to him however i do these things as i trust the sincerity between Verok or the others. There is a border between us and i never pass it vice versa he knows that i wont cross it. This week he wanted from me to cover Science station even though i declared that i do not want it because i was science officer for years and i got tired of it. But there is a new cadet and we should give them a chance to prove themselves actively thus i said “okay, i can be science” and i happily conducted my duty because this is just a game and i am mature enough to listen others.

All these does not mean i have the privilage to tear down the fourth wall and quit RPing during flights. All i am saying that sometimes we can enjoy and go with the wind. The thing is, you can warn me any time you want. because you want RP and you are here for the RP so i cannot cross your borders and kill your aim to be here. You could have warned me.
    I asked you thrice during flight did not i?
    I ve said, “Blaze, you go silent all of a sudden is there a problem? you can tell me?”
    You said nothing yet you are writing these in here. I am not angry but i feel kind of disappointed because as i said i value friendship and see everyone as my friends in here. This means maybe i should not see you as one and while you are around me i need to act firm and do my duty. nothing more.

I see myself fit to my rank. I am as capable as any commanders in here. We got destroyed in the last weeks but it was a simulation and the crews were rotating. everyone was trying to get used to their styles. I know to use every station but the Helm station is not among my bests. I did not take the weapons because you were on that station. Since i do not want to be science anymore i asked Verok to take Helm. I was not as good as an assigned Helms officer so i quit doing it. I know when to joke around and when not to.

As Fish said they are working on some etiquette to create branches between commanders indicated by color. Just like in real life if you are a commander that does not mean you can captain a ship. sometimes you might want to stay on passive duty. If they give me a ship i can fly it as well no problem as i said i just want to play this game with these people. I ve missed the community and now i am attending regularly and i will be too.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Tuor Elanesse.
    Blaze Strife
    Participant

We’ve been on the same ship enough times (more than 3) for me to form an opinion that you’re not as good as the other Commanders. You and others might disagree, but that is my opinion.

I believe that as an XO of a ship, you should be primarily on Science, since it’s harder to assist the Captain from other stations. So if you don’t want to do that, you might want to create a new character, enlist as an Lt or Lt Snr and play other stations without bothering with the XO role, and come back as Tuor when you choose to. But that is not for me to decide.

At the time you were asking me what was wrong, I didn’t want to say anything because I was too angry and would not be able to coherently formulate my thoughts. It would simply be an argument, and I wasn’t sure you’d actually listen to whatever I had to say. Rather, I choose to address all the RP issues through this forum post.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@Blaze Lt. Salt, what do you have for me?

Aposine
    Participant

Be civil.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, I thought, while we’re here……

Blaze Strife
    Participant

@dantezelreich Can’t really remember much about your RP. I know you liked to micromanage in command, that you participate in forum RP, and that you actually keep a sharp eye on people not following the rules in the Briefing rooms. That’s about it.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

Slate sent me a private message saying I was too harsh in my post about Tuor.

I apologize if I’ve offended you, Tuor, that was not the point of my post. But the opinion stands.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.