The importance of RP in TSN

Terran Stellar Navy Forums (OOC) Division Development The importance of RP in TSN

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Adele Mundy
    Participant

Maybe there’s an RP reason of that! Something Related to the reason why she feels queasy at the sight of blood?

Leonard Hall
    Participant

An interesting question indeed.

To address the point, I consider the roleplay in the TSN to be PARAMOUNT, to a serious personal fault. Let’s be honest: Artemis is an alright game and all, but it has its quirks, flaws, and ultimate extent in terms of just how much non-RP (raw combat and activity) gameplay you can squeeze from it. It’s really the people, the community, that keeps it going. I’d love to see a lot more adherence to roleplay within the TSN, but both game mechanics and the underlying nature of people ( some people are indeed just here for the game and that’s fine, us RPers find RP ways to justify their non-RP-conforming actions) are natural barriers to that.

I’ll leave it there for now, since it’s rather touchy as far as subjects go for us. I almost thought about not poking in this thread because of how passionate I am about the RP.

Jemel Eahain

i can be bad for breaking character, sometimes i feel people are just messing around in character and out and i get to were i think “whats the point” im not having fun any more,
    With stress’s at work and at home i have came close to just walking away, ive even rage quite a couple times,
    99 times out of 100 those who are not keen on rp keep to them selves and dont ruin it for others and that’s cool, its the general messing around off late in general that gets me, messing around in character can be just as damaging as breaking character, im not saying we cant have a laugh at the appropriate moment but i think there is a general slip in when its right and wrong just now

Matthew Vaj
    Participant

To be honest, I’m a bit surprised at how into the RP some of you are. Not that that’s a bad thing – I just don’t know many people in RL who are as passionate about it as blaze and jemel and apparently many others are, and so I guess I never realized just how much y’all enjoy the RP. It’s almost beyond my comprehension that some of you get angry about people breaking character and all that, because that’s not something that bothers me at all. I enjoy the RP and usually try to stay in character, but I think that I’m just having fun, not worrying about it when someone breaks character because it’s just a game.

That being said, I respect the fact that many of you DO take it way more seriously, and I will certainly keep that in mind in my interactions with you.

This discussion has certainly given me some things to think about. Yes, artemis is a game with TONS of issues and quirks, and in many ways, even with scripted missions and the like, it is somewhat repetitive. I can see why the game itself is not enough to keep you interested. I think one of the reasons the RP is not as important to me is that I don’t know how to hardcore RP. It’s not something I’ve ever had the inclination to learn, whether because it’s not who I am or not something I needed.

Like I said, I respect those of you who take the RP seriously, and I’ll try to be serious about it when I’m not on the Phoenix, but I hope that the crew of the Phoenix keeps it’s same old semi-seriousness that I’ve gotten to know and love, at least while we’re on the bridge.

The DO can keep that in mind when assigning temporary crew members, and we’ll try to keep it on our bridge, so it doesn’t bug you all too much.

Adele Mundy
    Participant

@Matthew Vaj, as for “how to hard-core RP”… it’s actually easiest on the bridge, because we all have clearly defined officer roles, and a technical/professional vocabulary we use. “Contacts in Charlie 4”, rather than “little white arrows in that square” is RP. Battlegroups, lead ships, officer protocol, it’s all RP. The Fleet Captain’s outline of imminent missions is RP. Addressing CIC rather than “the GM” is RP.

Then you add your officer’s perspective, which is where creating a character history is useful, because it gives you fixed points to start from: Nhaima was used to fighting all aliens whenever and however she could, so orders for a cease fire troubled her; Matsiyan comes from a merchant background, so he knows people who can ship him real coffee; van Leigh served with del Pino, who turned traitor, so the subject is rather perilous (and he isn’t even that keen on RP, but he’s doing so effectively).

Your character can be almost exactly like you, if you want, but in space. Just ask a few questions: was he from Earth? It’s not a given. If not, from where? What is his pre-TSN experience of space? Of aliens? Why did he join the academy? Is it possible he met some of the other characters there?

You can go to ridiculous lengths with this – Matsiyan and Mundy’s avatars were created by using the Paragon Chat character creation program (all that remains of the old City of Heroes game), and I’ve gone and made avatars for Mundy’s Great-Aunt Adelaide (the Admiral), her father, and her defector younger brother. Not that anyone else needs to see them, but it helps me solidify her background. I’m taking the game into telling myself a story, which is what I enjoy, and I realise this may baffle other people, but it’s not a difficult thing to do.

Matsiyan
    Participant

To put the “getting angry” part in perspective, it’s a little like having friends around to watch a show together. Some of you want to enjoy the story and others sit and discuss the plot holes and the actors and the locations. both enjoy it but for very different reasons.

Slate
    Participant

@xavier “Why is it that Slate doesn’t state her rank at the beginning of a shift?”

Slate doesn’t state her rank because…

Where you sit in a room matters. Take any general mixed company meeting of about 30 people:

There are “movers and shakers”, the ones in charge, who sit at the head of the table, the front row – the place of power and importance. The place where everyone else must pay attention if you talk.

There are people that sit by the door, ready for that speedy escape. They didn’t want to be there to begin with and don’t want to be there any longer than they have to – maybe they have more important, pressing things that need to be done, or maybe they just think the meeting topic is a waste of time?

There are ones that arrive late (or almost late), that aren’t the ones in charge (because those move to the place of power anyway), who sit wherever is open, but manage to avoid any pre-meeting uncomfortable socializing.

There are people that show up to be entertained. They rarely bring a notepad or a pen. They might have their coffee or lunch. They’ll participate enthusiastically if it adds to their entertainment. They fill in the middle-areas.

And once, every blue moon, there’s someone that slips in, seemingly randomly selects a seat, not in the place of power, and not in the “back, unimportant” spot, and never by the door. They arrive casually, with the main influx of people, and have the pre-meeting social topics and discussions down to an art form, but let the conversation flow around them. Their eyes are sharp, even if pretending a lazy indifference. That’s the one who is the hatchet-man. The very top. The one who might interrupt a loud, lively discussion to say “Good input; next topic.” at almost a whisper, and the room will go silent and move on to the next topic, without even finishing sentences. This person doesn’t need to sit in a position of power. He or she IS the position of power, and everyone in the meeting knows it (except maybe a rare guest, who quickly figures it out).

My RL personality is such that I arrive absurdly early, evaluate the room, and very carefully select my seat. I switch between the room positions, not based on status or habit, but based on other criteria entirely (hardly ever the same seat as last time). I possessively claim my seat with coat, laptop, notepad, and pen, before dashing off to get coffee. I observe who sits with whom, where they sit, what they bring, when they arrive, who they talk with, and about what.

TSN is neatly (and rightfully) sorted into ranks. There’s a clear, hard line between the senior staff and the crewmen. Logically, if we were in a traditional briefing room, we’d leave the first 2 rows of chairs open and sort by rank into the rest of the rows (our role call would be impossible otherwise).

Stating rank is very much like stating where you are sitting in the room, and it’s a super important thing (consider how senior officers are excluded from having to participate). Often role call occurs just after the seniors arrive, and, to fit my personality, Slate would usually be sitting or standing somewhere she wasn’t at the last briefing, and due to the speed of time between the arrival of seniors and the start of role call, she hasn’t returned to her “assigned” seat yet – she’s not claiming any other rank or intending insult or upset, she’s just avidly interested in room and people dynamics.

The complete reason is a lot more complex, but that novel does not belong here. No harm was/is intended. I was actually quite baffled to learn Blaze (and others apparently) are so upset about a simple verbal rank. My levity joking about “not being able to pronounce ‘junior'” probably unwittingly aggravated a situation that I didn’t even know was causing distress. Does this resemble Cormier’s Chocolate War? Riveting reaction to non-conformance.

Sorry, Blaze. Feel free to in-character kick Slate in the shin.

Xiph
    Participant

And this is why I love Lancer and her crew, and no other ship can match up.

During a sim or a mission, we are focused on the job in hand. We use the correct terminology, which is a million times better than the captain just yelling “get us out of here”.

In downtime, we laugh about things, about each other, just as humans do.

We can get frustrated when other ships fail to act as the have been ordered, or as protocol demands, as that can directly impact our enjoyment, or just frustrate an awesome combat plan the Captain came up with!

My personal experience is that having fellow bridge officers who are willing to invest a bit of brainpower into RP (Matsiyan and Mundy spring immediately to mind) makes the whole experience more fun. And isn’t that what we’re here for?

TL;DR
    Lancer is awesome. Find a ship and crew that you have fun with. Lancer is awesome. Don’t impact someone else’s ‘fun’. Lancer is awesome.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Xiph.
    Blaze Strife
    Participant

The reason why I felt Slate’s no-rank situation breaks the RP is because I expect she would be called to order in a real space military. I’ve heard that you do it because you’re a high ranking officer in another group, and that you despise being a low/mid ranking officer with the rest of us. I’ve no idea if that’s true or not, nor do I expect you to answer that. But I do think it would be fair to everyone else to answer like everyone else.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

Xiph, I agree with you, but I must put Viper in front of Lancer (not really, just personal opinion since I’m there). Not that I’ve been on Lancer lately or remember the details of my visit there. Raven is also similar. It depends on the captain and the crew he commands, I guess. I think Matsiyan will also be a true RP captain/commander, perhaps even more so than the current ones.

Xiph
    Participant

Slate, the issue is probably something to do with the fact that we are all expected to report in in a certain manner.

If we were all to drop our ranks because ‘reasons’, then what’s the point of reporting in?

Slate
    Participant

I’m sorry, Blaze, that just made me laugh – “I’ve heard that you do it because you’re a high ranking officer in another group, and that you despise being a low/mid ranking officer with the rest of us.”

Rank elsewhere is irrelevant here. The speaker has either never talked with me about ranks, or somehow never grasped that I’m quite content at a TSN low-rank. Baffling drama, riveting dynamics.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

I agree that rank elsewhere is irrelevant here. As for the quote, just saying what I’ve heard. If that’s wrong, I’m glad.

Matthew Vaj
    Participant

@mundy The crew of the Phoenix is very good at using standard TSN communication, and in battle situations and inter-ship communications, we are certainly in character. I guess I was thinking about all the times when we’re not immediately needing to be in character that we relax the RP.

I also do have a somewhat developed background – an ex-Unuk and all that. But that was primarily for the forum RP, not so much on the bridge during a duty shift.

@matsiyan
    That makes a lot of sense, thanks for the clarification.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Matthew Vaj.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Matthew Vaj.
    Slate
    Participant

@xavier, No problem saying my rank hereafter. No problem with any RP solution. Even willing to RP a public apology, full demote to Cadet. Whatever makes people happy. Really, I had no idea people were upset.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.