Server Load

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Garion
    Participant

Hi all,

I have been looking into getting a hosted windows server for a while. This is for my own web hosting and testing etc, storing things for access anywhere etc etc…
    It could also be used for Artemis, (I know we have 54.20…) but a second my be useful.
    I have been looking at specs etc and I just wanted to find out a few things.
    Does anyone know what sort of load Artemis has on a server.
    When we run at full capacity, so 30 players each with an average of 2 screens each, how much RAM/CPU power does Artemis use?

@davisn456
    and @FishEvans and @admin do you guys know.

Also – for those playing Space Engineers I am hoping to get it running that as well 😀

Of course I won’t be going all out so it won’t be a top of the range beast… but it should run one game at a time 😉

Thanks in advance.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Garion.
    Jemel Eahain

there is not too many stats out there, from what i have heard artemis does not allow hyper threading or what ever its called when you have a pc with multiple cores so you are better with less but bigger cores as apposed to smaller but more cores if that makes sense, ram is not a massive thing as the game is not physically that big, the biggest issue is upload speed to the server, download is important as well but if you have a tiny upload speed the server does not get all the info from players in time and you get massive lag.

Xavier
    Keymaster

I have no idea on stats to be honest. It might be worth asking on the main Artemis forums as I think there are a couple of people out there who have done the research.

As for having a second big server, that would be awesome. We’d more easily run two large games parallel to one another which will be cool. It also gives us a back up if the main goes down.

As long as you are happy to do it! The contribution is appreciated by all I am sure!

Verok
    Participant

In my experience, servers run into two main issues, bandwidth (good network cards) and video. For the most part, I think any decent processor and RAM would be fine. I think our server is running 16GB of ram, but I doubt it uses hardly any of that. And any processor out in the last 3-4 years would easily keep up.

The tricky part with servers is that they don’t have decent video cards typically, and the server HAS to render the main screen with the current setup of Artemis. So when Ship #1 goes into combat, and the server is trying to render all of the explosions, you’ll see quite a bit of lag. So, the better servers tend to be a desktop computer with a decent video card in them, with lots of available bandwidth.

This is totally anecdotal evidence, so others may very well disagree. This is just what I’ve noticed over the last couple of years.

Garion
    Participant

So the next issue…

Direct3D does not work over RDP.

Okay, fair enough. So i’ll try Teamviewer.

Team viewer does not work unless logged into RDP…

How do you guys run it?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’d be careful with TeamViewer, they’ve had a few recent breaches.

Expree | Sci

Realquick: http://artemis.forumchitchat.com/post/running-artemis-server-remotely-6879510

Aside, I do remain convinced that the primary component of a good server is the firewall (you need upload too, but remember, we’re doing thousands of micro-transactions sending little streams of data at a time, not sending big huge streams of data all at once – business-grade firewalls handle these micro-transactions MUCH more stably).

Remember, most residential firewalls are designed to let 10-20 devices access YouTube and Netflix with assistance from buffering, etc. We have 30-50 people flying SPACESHIPS utilizing UDP, and I’d make a UDP joke but I only like to tell jokes if I can be sure people got them.

Expree

Garion
    Participant

Thanks @Expree
    The server I got was not up to scratch so I am cancelling that one.

I am looking for an alternative though – what company do you use?

Expree | Sci

We use Amazon Web Services – VERY expensive if left on 24/7 but very affordable technically since you can just “shut them off” when you’re not using and not be billed. (Contrariwise, if you leave them on – wham! Huge bill, so just set alarms on your phone to remind you)

Amazon Web Services is only special since it has servers with dedicated graphics available, e.g., their G-line (G2 currently). Make sure to install the drivers since they don’t do them themselves!

Expree

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.