Sensor Analysis Toolbox

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Xavier
    Keymaster

OK, lets get this ball rolling. Any ideas on programs, sub-routines, algorithms, or other analysis tools and procedures that you could use… post here. The first one I think we could use from the forums (though we can refine the definition if needed!)

Photinavian filter
    A program that can be run on sensor data to filter out interference caused by radiation from matter-antimatter reactions. Parameters can be set using known sub-atomic elementary particles.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

Let me give it a shot at this…

Fraslun’s intelligent aggregator
    A slow and expensive program that can be run on inputted data to perform aggregations and draw many different charts correlating different data from the input.

Btw, if you don’t have an idea of a name, try using Fantasy Name Generators or some other name generator. I found the “Fraslun” in the Fantasy Names > Species name generator.

Matsiyan
    Participant

Baxter-Xeelee Filter

A program that can be run on sensor data to clean up gravimetric interference such as that caused by black holes, gravity waves, active jump gates and jump-drive ship arrivals and departures.

Originally developed to assist stellar cartography initiatives directed at the galactic core where massive black hole aggregations create significant sensor image degradation, they were adapted initially for military use in hostile stellar environments and are now being investigated for increased tactical relevance in the face of Caltron and Ximni technology.

// Submitted for review

Xavier
    Keymaster

For that one, I think it should be narrowed to gravitational interference, removing interference from jump points. Somewhere, there are quite detailed things written about jump points, so we could use that information to figure out ideas about jump theory and jump mechanics.

Scratch that. In a write up I put they were gravo-kinetic fractures in space-time…

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Xavier.
    Matsiyan
    Participant

Thanks for that review. That is exactly the kind of feedback needed. I thought jump events had to have a gravity component, but if I had been wrong that is exactly the update needed.

Xavier
    Keymaster

Blaze, could you explain where it might be used e.g. situations a character might decide to use it. The more detail, the better.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

Well, since I deal with data on a daily basis, I figured a tool like that would come in really handy in a research scenario. I kind of see it as the favourite tool to use when one needs to do a research on a sector, whether that is a Science Officer or an XO preparing for a mission or someone researching about what places to avoid putting a station at.

I wrote it’s slow and expensive to stop people from using it on the fly, since it needs to crunch terabytes or petabytes of data, correlate everything with everything, find the trends, look into it’s database of past uses to see what its users want to see, etc.

EDIT: It might find use in Stellar cartography or other modules, since I don’t see it as limited to one type of data, much like Database Management Systems aren’t.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Blaze Strife.
    Xavier
    Keymaster

I wonder if we could tailor it to a tool for Stellar Cartography then. One that collects and correlates data about a region of space for mapping purposes. We could use it on a sector scale, or on a planetary scale (we are investigating planets at the moment!) and so this could bring the information together.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

Sure we could!

Feel free to modify the initial idea of the software to best suit TSN’s needs.

Xavier
    Keymaster

How does this sound?

Fraslun’s intelligent aggregator
    A slow and expensive program, the aggregator compiles all the data from stellar surveys and sensor data, presenting it in many different charts and tables, correlatig the data and enabling review and analysis of the reports.
    Uses: Primarily, the aggregator is used on data from scientific survey missions in systems (such as of planets, nebulae, asteroid fields etc.), or on data from long range sensor scans and probe data of new sectors of space. From this information about the composition of nebulae, asteroids and planets can be reviewed more easily, as well as the allowing accurate maps to be created of new sectors.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

Sounds good!

Xavier
    Keymaster

We could potentially come up with other types of aggregators for other modules too.

Adele Mundy
    Participant

Well, lots of new stuff to go into the Encyclopedia! (After ACNW, though. Preparations are getting a bit frantic)

Matsiyan
    Participant

Can we drop “intelligent” from the Frasun gadget, it sounds rather like an early D&D magic item or something steampunk from Space 1889.

How about a “Fraslun Aggregation” or even a “Fraslun Integration” or the “Fraslun SmartAg”?

Blaze Strife
    Participant

Ofcourse we can. When I made up the name, I kind of envisioned a company that made it being all “This is so intelligent, we need you to know how intelligent it is, so we called it Intelligent.” More of a joke, than anything else.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • The forum ‘(OOC) Forum RP Development Ideas’ is closed to new topics and replies.