Public service record or personnel file

Terran Stellar Navy Forums (OOC) The Mess Hall Public service record or personnel file

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Blaze Strife
    Participant

After last night’s mission debriefing, I told my fellow officers what I’ve previously told the bridge officers of Hydra: that I’m keeping a track of ships I’ve served on (and roles I’ve served in) publicaly visible on my profile. Since over 10 people tried to view the profile at the same time, we experienced technical difficulties and crashed the site. After the difficulties were resolved, the Briefing Room was full of positive commentary on the idea. As I understood it, the officers liked the idea and said they wanted to do that on their own profiles, as well. Then Commander Verok told us that there are documents detailing the crew of the missions in the part of forum intended only for higher officers, but that with that data we would be able to recreate the service records for those who have been in the TSN for a long time and cannot rememeber each ship and role they’ve served in.

Today I woke up with a new idea: a new subforum called Personnel files or Service records.
    In the subforum, there would be a topic for each officer, created and updated by themselves. The first post of the topic would be the file or record itself, updated after every mission. The other posts would be by the other officers, that the subject of the personnel file can use to update the first post. The posts can be the comments of the commanding officer on the ship the officer served on, the comments of the ship’s crew, the comments of the officers from the mess hall or the briefing rooms, etc.
    The sticky post can be a post about the guidelines to writing the personnel file, such as the outline or the (soft) limit of words per each service entry. The point of these topics wouldn’t be to replace personal logs, since the personnel file should only contain concise and important information, while the personnel log can have a lot more.

The following is an example of how a topic could look like. If you have any better desing ideas, bring them forth, please. I recommend that we all have the same layout of the topic, so it looks more professional.
    The topic title would be the user name, as is on TeamSpeak, without the designated station.

—————————————————————————

TSN Hydra under Commander Verok
    Stardate: 6216-2237
    Rank and position: Cadet on Weapons
    Note: simulation //the simulations shouldn’t be posted usually, but this one was very important to me
    In order to finish my training, the Academy sent me to the front lines, to join the 2nd Space Fleet, 4th Light Division. After Lt Greybeard helped me set up my console and the Flt Cpt Xavier held the briefing, I was sent to TSN Hydra to serve as a Weapons officer for the simulations. Cmdr Verok and the crew greeted me and helped my transition from the Academy to the real world be as smooth as possible, even though I managed to destroy the ship once on a failed Echo manouvre.

Commander Verok:
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, ei nec iudico debitis probatus. Duo eu tollit impetus. Mea cibo oratio viderer ad, cum.

Liuetenant Commander del Pino:
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, ne cum eius aliquam liberavisse.

TSN Raven under Fleet Captain Xavier
    Stardate: 6216-2237
    I was very nervous when I was told that my first mission will be on the TSN Raven, under the Flt Cpt himself. Luckily, I still served as a Weapons Officer, so the experience gained on TSN Hydra was invaluable. I managed to not kill us all, even though there were a few missfired torpedoes. I realized how different the crew atmosphere can be on the ships of the same fleet; while TSN Raven was fully professional in it’s conduct, the TSN Hydra has a lighter tone to it’s professionalism.

Liuetenant Aramond
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, minim liberavisse vix no, case utroque detracto ea mea, cum an latine nonumes mnesarchum everti.

TSN Hydra under Commander Verok
    Stardate: 13216-2237
    After the briefing, I requested from the DO to be put on TSN Hydra as the Weapons Officer. My request was granted and when I boarded the Hydra I was merily greeted by the crew. I love this ship. Upon entering my quarters on the ship, I spoke to the empty room “I’m home”. I knew that once I was able, I will request a permanent position on this ship.

Commander Verok:
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, mea dico facilisi ea, eu sed illud fastidii. Ancillae molestie ne cum. At mei eripuit equidem, per vidisse utroque adipisci.

Ensign Cessna:
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, ad his explicari tincidunt, sed veniam timeam legendos ut eu.

• This topic was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Blaze Strife.
    Blaze Strife
    Participant

Sooo… No one is interested in this?

Verok
    Participant

I think there’s interest, we’re just trying to figure out the best way to not duplicate efforts. There’s a central record maintained by the TSN leadership of where crew have served, and there’s also the crew logs section. I think what you’re doing with your profile works quite well, and looks good as part of your profile. The topic structure you suggested could work as well, but there’s some duplication in the crew logs section. Take a look at the crew personal logs topic to see what you think about that format, since it’s pretty similar to what you’ve suggested here.

I definitely think the conversation should continue. This adds a nice “outside the duty shift” kind of content creation that allows members to be creative with backgrounds of their characters and things like that for those that are interested.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

I’ve seen and read some of the crew’s personal logs (and plan to read any and all new ones). I do realize there are similarities between them and this idea, but I would love to have a single place where you can see the full service record of an officer.

Perhaps the initial idea has too much data in it. Perhaps it would be enough to have the ship’s name, the acting captain, the current rank of the officer and the position served in. Flavour text can be added if one chooses to. Linking to a written personal log would also be a very good info.

Jemel Eahain

how about we rename the personal logs forum as the personnel records forum and have 2 sub forums within it, 1 to carry on the personal logs as people are doing now and a second sub forum for service records? the service record similar in developing a character but can include pre fleet background storys and be dded to in a 3rd person style.

i for one would love to write up a back story and pre tsn fleet story as im not great with creative writing i would never be able to keep up with personal logs.

Quinn
    Participant

I like this solution. I definitely agree with Jemel that I’d like to flesh out more character history, which wouldn’t necessarily come up in a personal log.

A personnel file from a third-person perspective might fit this need perfectly, and people could really get creative with the kind of thing they might want to include in addition to the simple list of where you served and what you did. For instance, I could see a place for old performance reviews or letters of recomendation from NPCs, or even a character’s entrance application to the academy. All kinds of things to help develop these characters in new and interesting ways.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Quinn.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by Quinn.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.