Mission Review

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Xavier
    Keymaster

These are my thoughts on the recent mission completed on the planet. For those of you that read and participated, feel free to add your own thoughts below.

There was a time limiting factor, both in the story and in reality. This helped keep the mission moving along at a good pace, and it was completed in the time frame, with a reasonable story explanation of why it had to finish when it did (the storm hit).

It was rushed at the end however, with only limited opportunity for people to post towards the end. Having clear markers of when scenes need to end may help, though players would have to be creative on how to resolve an action in a scene to complete it within the time frame.

A time limitimg factor was also quite demanding on the requirements to post, needing participants to check in regularly. This could cause issue if characters try to interact with one another, such as calling for another character to take an action. The ‘active periods’ possibly address this. Within these periods, players could be expected to check in and post, and interaction between them could be resolved more easily.

The structure of the game worked well. Posts included a mix of those using opposed and unopposed questions, as well as posts only with some kind of action or comment from a character. Most questions were appropriate. Sharing the advice from the Mythic RP Rules on asking questions and interpreting them should aid players understanding and help them improve the questions asked. Experience will also help to improve questions, as well as discussion and feedback from other players.

An OOC topic for discussion was essential to be able to share thoughts without interfering with the flow of the actual mission topic itself. It provided a useful place for discussion and advice and was invaluable in keeping players involved and informed.

There was an issue in that current training modules didn’t fit the activities required of the characters. There was also a lack of explanation about the equipment available. This was addressed through the creation of an expansion document. It helped expand on the universe and give more details for players to draw upon. With the aim of the mission to be exploring planets, it opened up new possibilites for modules such as botany as well as the use of shuttles for planetry landings.

Those are my thoughts so far. I’ll post more if I think of anything else.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

Be aware that noone else posted about the active periods in the other topic. We don’t know if people like the idea or not.

But I did like the mission. My initial trouble was solved by keeping my posts simple and oriented towards one action.

Xavier
    Keymaster

True about the active periods. No one did post and that is where feedback here might help. I see it as similar to getting together around a table in a tabletop RPG. You’ve got to set a time and date to do that. The active periods aim to emulate thay somewhat. Again though, I have little idea on whether it was useful to indicate times when players would be more active. As these forums are accessible 24hrs, posting outside the stated times is possible (and perfectly acceptable). The active periods just aim to indicate the most ideal times to post if you want more immediate response.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

Do you have access to statistics that can tell you when are the most active times?

Or, we can use Doodle to set up different times and let people simply mark what times they prefer. Maybe this is good enough.

Tuor Elanesse
    Participant

I really enjoyed the mission it was my firt time too i hesitated actually about joining, however i read the RP rules and it was really easier than i expected. The posts were fun.

I think there is a problem with my subscription system i needed to check it all the time to be honest at home and at work all the pages i need to play were open all the time to keep up with the story 😀

Maybe the GM should interfere more than the previous ones to set us a course. This is my idea of course but i think we need godly intervention. This RP outside duty shifts, has potential. Instead of a grand campaing that needs regular players and your time; this game offers us an easier, relaxed, free RP experience.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

If you keep the checkbox below the new post that says “Notify me of follow-up replies via email” checked, then it should work. Otherwise, if it’s off, it will automatically unsubscribe you.

Tuor Elanesse
    Participant

Yep i noticed that it goes off again. I do not wanted a mail subscription because it will be much more harder to differentiate them in my mailbox since it goes more crowded and crowded. Well it seems the only way though, i ll try.

John van Leigh
    Participant

There were other issues reported with forum subscriptions, at least with the Legion of Merit.

Quinn
    Participant

I think the tough part about the tight timing of these is it means we’ll only hear from the same people around the same time every day, almost as if we have an initiative order. For instance, I’m mostly available during working hours EST when I’m goofing off in between projects at work, which means I’ll be posting pretty regularly between 6am UTC and 10am UTC, then very sporadically after that, depending on what activities I’ve got planned for myself. So if Quinn is the pilot on an away mission, everyone will have to wait to take off until the next time I’ve got a free minute at work, which is mostly why I’ve avoided the forum RP until now.

Not sure if that’s an issue for everyone, but that’s where my head is at. I guess one solution would be to extend the time the mission is active (two weeks maybe?), but that may create more problems than it solves.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘(OOC) Forum RP Development Ideas’ is closed to new topics and replies.