Log Vaj 2716-2237

Terran Stellar Navy Forums Personal Logs Log Vaj 2716-2237

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Matthew Vaj
    Participant

Ensign Matthew Vaj, Personal Log
    Stardate 2716-2237
    2nd Fleet, 4th Light Division, TSN Phoenix

There are a lot of frustrated people after this last duty shift. Nothing seemed to work right and we weren’t able to make any progress in fighting off the Arvonians. The software glitches kept us from completing or even starting any sort of useful mission. Sims are fine and dandy when getting ready for a mission or training new cadets or even to get more experience with a station you’re not familiar with, but they don’t keep enemy fleets at bay. The Arvonians don’t watch us on our sims and think “Oh, crap, those guys are good, let’s get out of here!” If we aren’t an active presence, they’re bound to take advantage. I can’t blame them, I’d think along similar lines if I was in their shoes – do they even wear shoes? – but we need to find ways to minimize these issues. Unfortunately, it appears that expert software engineers are in short supply around here at the moment.

Arvonians are something of an enigma in my mind, actually. They keep expounding their beliefs about how precious life is – and I don’t disagree with them on that – but they are willing to go around trying to destroy USFP ships and stations – with people on them – without so much as an apology beforehand. Surely they would be actively looking for a diplomatic solution instead of all this destruction? I’ve been wondering if the “Supreme Understander” has some bugs of its own.

Actually, that would make a lot of sense. Why put real, biological life before artificial “life” like computers? If a computer that controlled everything got a virus or something that made subtle changes to its programming, stuff like that could happen. What if some species, say the Kraliens, decided to use the Supreme Understander’s shortcomings tear other species to pieces? I’m starting to sound like a conspiracy theorist now, but this could be worth looking into. Could the Arvonians be persuaded that the Supreme Understander might need a check-up? It could’ve been an issue with the original programming, or maybe someone hacked it later. Or, it could be working exactly as intended.

Anyways, the duty shift wasn’t a complete waste of time. I got another shot at helm, which I need a lot of practice on if I want to be really good at. I don’t know why or how, but Ensign Braddock is a really good helmsman, calling out what he is doing in a way that I can give him power to the systems he needs it most. He’s not as crazy as I hear Allard and Aposine are, but he’s only been around a little longer than me, so he might get there. Also, since Lt. Cmdr. Zelriech was called away during before the final sim, the Phoenix crew was dispersed among the other ships. I was moved to take SciComms on the Lancer, which was quite the experience when comparing it to a light cruiser. I’ve gotten comfortable with the Phoenix and her capabilities, but it’s good to know what the rest of the fleet can do, too.

Aramond
    Participant

Short, but well written! Liked the thought spent about Arvonians.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

//Always great to read new perspectives! The pondering about Arvonians was a really nice touch.

Adele Mundy
    Participant

//Agreed with both the above!

Matthew Vaj
    Participant

//Thank you all. I might not write logs too often, but I had some free time today and this was the result 🙂

Draeco
    Participant

//”Obey the Computer. The Computer is your friend. The Computer wants you to be happy. If you are not happy you will be used as reactor shielding. Stay alert, trust no one. Keep your laser handy.”

Matthew Vaj
    Participant

//Draeco, you’re scaring me. 😉

Adele Mundy
    Participant

//Trust the Computer. The Computer is your friend. This log has been classified at Ultraviolet Level Security. Ultraviolet Level Security does not exist. It is merely a rumour put about by Mutants and Secret Societies. Mutants and Secret Societies do not exist either. Please report to Central Control for Clone Readjustment.//

Draeco
    Participant

//Mundy, somehow I am entirely unsurprised you would remember that.

Adele Mundy
    Participant

//Once you’ve played Paranoia, the nightmares never leave you… 🤖

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.