Log Nhaima, 29117-2237

Terran Stellar Navy Forums Personal Logs Log Nhaima, 29117-2237

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Nhaima
    Participant

Personal Log: Lt Jr. Nhaima, Tactical Officer, TSN Raven
    Stardate: 29117-2237

The recording is silent save for the faint humming of the station’s power systems and the lighting in Nhaima’s quarters.

*Log ends*

Nhaima
    Participant

Lt Jr. Nhaima, supplemental log:

The background hum continues to dominate the audio recording. Booted footsteps, uncharacteristically loud from the Terran woman, are heard seemingly pacing through her quarters.

*Log ends*

Nhaima
    Participant

Lt Jr. Nhaima, supplemental log:

Nhaima exhales. Something thuds dully, like metal on metal.

Today… I don’t know what we did today. I know what I did. I know what was done…. I don’t know what we accomplished. Normally I know exactly what good we accomplished. Even if it was just poking our nose into an unfamiliar sector of space to see what we could find there… But this? I never imagined this. Do we allow Hegemony ships to surrender? Yes. It saves ordinance and charge on the power cores during combat that would otherwise be required to extinguish the more stubborn elements among them. Moreover, surrendered ships are out of action for long stretches of time. Wounded personnel require attention and replacement, even on inactive ships. This requires resources that could otherwise be funneled into useless ships rather than training or front-line duty. We can siphon off their capacity to wage war and drain them of the ability to ever hurt us again. It isn’t a glorious tactic, it won’t win medals and awards but it doesn’t have to. It wins wars.

In my time before…. well, before I joined the TSN… we never would have stood for this. It would have been an easy choice, they would have all been destroyed. Or allowed to leave the sector with their tails between their legs if they had any sense.

Nhaima laughs caustically.

Nor do I think that the Hegemony is a greater threat than the Caltrons. They aren’t. They aren’t at all, but to say we have to choose between them is a false choice. They are the enemy. They are all the enemy. Sure, the Hegemony gave us data they claim would help us with the Caltrons but we could have just as easily gotten the data by securing that station, capturing the staff, and using them as intelligence sources. Using the data stored on that station. We could have gotten the same results, but without leaving them fully able to continue waging their campaign against us. The terms of the ceasefire were to remove the Caltrons from the area. We affected that, the superswarms were burnt to ash. Raven herself had no small part in that. But that’s not the worst of it. I played back the battle chatter recording afterwards. “The Hegemony are requesting help to defend themselves”? “Sorry Viper, we need to help out people in aid”? They aren’t people, they’re the enemy. That wasn’t a civilian transport. It was armored. It was armed. You don’t get to fly around equipped in such a fashion and expect to compel others to fight your battles for you. Certainly if your cargo is going to be military personnel and materiel. We weren’t required to render aid. We weren’t obligated to avoid targeting them, or impounding them. Lt. Quinn said that we would have been violating the ceasefire if we did so and that would be illegal under the Rules of War. I did not argue against him because I had already given my advisement to my superior officers and, short of being ordered to perform an illegal action, I have no room to disobey so I did not protest, but the ceasefire was clearly demarcated along the removal of the immediate Caltron threat and we would have been justified to return to our original footing once it had passed.

Nhaima sighs and stops pacing.

I cannot believe that we referred to them as anything but targets. Though practical, it galled me to see the IFF readout on tactical display them in TSN blue. I did my duty. I never disobeyed an order. Not even it’s intent to follow the mere letter of the order. I did as I was commanded because that is what is legal. That is what is moral. And that is what is right. I remember informing the Fleet Captain and Lt. Sr. Matsiyan, the new XO, when the transports were under attack. I remember slight panic lacing my voice, because that was the objective my commanding officer had put before me to enact. I was upset because I was failing our objective and there was little I could do to change that. I was upset that Hegemony ships were being destroyed. I was. Me. I cared that their ships hung like smoldering wrecks only a few clicks off our starboard bow. In my time before the TSN, I would never have acted in this fashion. We struck the enemy when we could, as hard as we could. We made them pay for every inch of space and every life they stole from us. I cannot forget them. I will not dishonor their memories. I-….

And it’s not like we attacked civilian targets. Nor did we attack civilian transports who were clearly marked as part of humanitarian efforts rather than transporting military goods. We weren’t monsters. I’m still not a monster. But I think we’ve lost something. I think I’ve lost something…. I don’t think I’m the same person anymore. And I don’t know if the person I’ve become now is a better one.

False Trueman
    Participant

// “It’s easier when they don’t have faces.”

Blaze Strife
    Participant

//I like the new style.

Adele Mundy
    Participant

//This is exactly what the personal logs are for! Thank you!

Matsiyan
    Participant

// This is wonderful. Thank you.

Xavier
    Keymaster

//difficult mission that. What are the values of the TSN? Do we attack no matter what? Are they our sworn enemy? Or do we offer aid to whoever needs it? Perhaps we need to formulate ‘the principles of the TSN’ for future reference.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

//Well, Blaze decided to follow his superiors lead, as he did in the case when we “rebelled” against the rest of TSN fleets.

Nhaima
    Participant

//@admin That might be a decent thing to do. Artemis is clearly inspired by Star Trek yet the way TSN operates I’d always taken it to be a military organization first and foremost as opposed to Starfleet which just kind of works that way in case it’s needed but isn’t “technically” standing military.

// By no means am I criticizing anyone with the log nor am I intending to start a conflict. It seemed yesterday that we might have very easily just agreed to do the “right” thing rather than the “expeditious” thing. Given how I wrote my backstory and everything else, I didn’t mind trying to present the argument on the other side even if I think more naturally as a player I would tend towards cooperation. If multiple options aren’t being advocated for, then the people who choose peace aren’t really having to choose between anything. The log, then, is presented as a very subjective view on the situation after the fact from a very fallible, biased, and still somewhat new member of the 4th Light Division. My intent in-game and afterwards was to represent that opposition in a way that was still conducive to everyone’s enjoyment without being disruptive. Since I was weapons officer aboard Raven, I could have locked and fired ordinance at any time but that didn’t seem like a reasonable in-character choice nor did it seem like that would have lead to a positive out-of-game circumstance for everyone involved.

// Also, props to whoever came up with that mission idea. I’m quite a fan of anything that elevates the game from simply being a combat simulator though as a cooperative experience I enjoy the combat simulation quite a bit. Especially if, like yesterday’s, there isn’t necessarily always an obvious or “right” answer.

Matthew Vaj
    Participant

// Hmm, I’m curious about Nhaima’s background now.

Nhaima
    Participant

// the short version can be found here

Matthew Vaj
    Participant

// Most interesting. Incidentally, I’d be mighty interested in @admin ‘s backstory.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Matthew Vaj.
    Matsiyan
    Participant

// I think the majority of the storyline came from Fish but he may well have been bouncing off other input. I agree that it was a magnificent scenario and these are the kinds of things that make it interesting beyond a video game. I really enjoyed the moral dilemma of the first time we had to do something questionable on a covert mission. And this one gives similar fuel. I could imagine some good bar conversations arising.

It is absolutely correct to respond in character and apply constraints beyond those imposed by the software. That to me is what the TSN RP community is all about. I really liked that you pointed out an echo run would endanger surrendered vessels. And this for Nhaima represents a very great willpower to stick to what she has been taught since her militia days. Awesome log.

Xavier
    Keymaster

//I was a good mission and a good log. @mattssheep4, I have considered writing logs like this myself to show the view of the fleet captain. It created an interesting situation during that mission in that not attacking the hegemony meant going against all the instincts of everyone on a bridge crew, as well as going against the advice from the captains. As we were discussing the course of action, I was having to think about ‘the guiding principles’ of the TSN (whilst simultanously retarting my client to get my captain’s map working).

Sometimes though I wish @fishevans would give me a heads up (hint, hint fish!)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.