Great Personal Logs!

Terran Stellar Navy Forums (OOC) The Mess Hall Great Personal Logs!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Xavier
    Keymaster

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to bring up how great the personal logs forum is looking. I’m really enjoying reading all the different logs and getting a different perspective on whats happening during a shift. The GM team are working hard to put in interesting and varied missions for us, and writing up a log about it really highlights how well thought out the stories are.

I also like how we are getting views on different parts of our story and canon. There is lots of spin off discussions about who the TSN are and who we are, and what our universe is like.

Thise logs are really going to promote RP too, in shift and out of shift. I think our RP is something we can really take pride in, and these logs are just another way in which it is enhanced!

Keepup the great work!

Leonard Hall
    Participant

Indeed.

I just wish though, that the Wardroom and/or command center forums were used a bit more to try and get that out of shift RP kicking. Just a thought.

— LT Hall, ONI

Aramond
    Participant

I’ve been seeing the Command Centre as more a place for official-type announcements, while the Wardroom would be a good place for RP. If you got your wish, what kinds of stuff would you want to see in the forums?

Leonard Hall
    Participant

The command center is indeed for official things like intel reports, but I’m surprised nobody tends to reply to threads put up in there, such as command officers potentially needing to ask questions about said intel. As well a general lack of official communications in general. I imagine the wardroom to have conversation more along the lines of Commissioned Officers Galley level, definitely informal while being in character and contributing heavily to the RP.

— LT Hall ONI

Blaze Strife
    Participant

Is anyone allowed to write personal logs? Even a Cadet?

Aramond
    Participant

I’d actually love to see the logs of a Cadet. To my understanding, anyone can write and post logs.

Matsiyan
    Participant

I know that people have started writing logs when they were Acting Ensigns (// after two sessions as a cadet and paseed their exam) and it is certainly welcome.

The only issue would be describing something that contradicts established facts of the RP story/worldbuilding (canon). I worry sometimes that I may write something that does not fit, but so far no problems. It used to be that logs would be posted to a specific “canon development” group and they would be read by senior officers/GMs to make sure they did not break the background before they were posted for general consumption. But that took too long and there has never been a contradiction issue so far.

The only issue for cadets or anyone with less time in the environment, is that they might not be aware of some of the conventions (established “facts”). But if you keep it not too specific on background lore and share your reactions and things learned and fictionalize the mechanical things that happen in the game, then it seems to work well.

If I ever make a mistake I would be happy to rewrite and have the post edited or deleted and reposted. Normally I ask Mundy to proofread mine to catch spelling mistakes and factual errors. But even then, some factual errors can genuinely be misunderstandings or valid different perceptions.

Go for it and Good luck!

Blaze Strife
    Participant

I’ll do it, then.

As for the errors, the post can always be modified.

Lewis Remmick
    Participant

I started writing my logs as a cadet, so anyone can.

//Like you, Quinn, I also worry about breaking something “canon.” I feel like my logs have been a bit dry as a result, but I still feel new, and don’t want to put something out there that messes up what already exists.

This style of RP is also new to me. I’m used to games with a set GM. This level of freedom is taking some getting used to. It’s fun, though, and I’m looking forward to getting better at it.

Matsiyan
    Participant

// By “Quinn” did you mean “Blaze” or “Matsiyan”? 🙂

This style of RP is also a bit different for me. One thing that is helping enormously is the existence of everyone else’s logs. That actually provides subtle feedback on commonly agreed events, facts, attitudes, opinions and lore.

I hope we don’t make day to day facts about the starships and non-combat ops so specific that it becomes hard to write without tripping up. A little bit of fuzziness is a good thing for storytelling.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

//I do believe he meant you.

Agreed with both points.

Aramond
    Participant

//Matsiyan, why did you change your pic to the same as Quinn’s? It’s confusing. Whyyyyyyyyy?

Lewis Remmick
    Participant

//Crap, I did mean Matsiyan. But yes, your picture is now identical to Quinn’s. I believe you can be fined on the internet for that.

Matsiyan
    Participant

// Sorry about that. I was feeling too embarassed at still having Lancer on my pic. Like Quinn I am just another head of the Hydra 🙂

When I get to a machine with editing, I will change it again.

Quinn
    Participant

I started keeping logs when I got promoted to Lt. Jr. I figured it was high time I started keeping track of events, not just letting them pass me by.

\\Love the coffee maker, Matsiyan. I imagine the Hydra’s innards are starting to become one big percolator by now…

As for the RP aspect of it, I really like being able to read other people’s perspectives on events before/during/after writing my logs. It makes the RP feel more like a collaboration than most other RP things I’ve done. FateCore is kind of collaborative, but most RP is more like going along for a ride with the GM, whereas our narrative is kind of feeding off itself.

The cool thing about the logs is that they’re personal logs, and most people don’t find themselves writing too much about the state of galactic politics in their diaries. It’s usually small, petty stuff that has almost no large-scale canon implications, like how your bunkmate snores or is it weird to date a non-com or random stuff like that.

If you come up with big ideas, though, I bet the story team would love to hear them so they can use them. You could even run it by people in the OOC forums and workshop it before writing if you wanted.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.