Concerning Xavier's Defiant Stand Against Terran Tyranny

Terran Stellar Navy Forums (OOC) The Mess Hall Concerning Xavier's Defiant Stand Against Terran Tyranny

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
  • Author
    Maurice Allard
    Participant

Would anyone else be up for a parlor, RP thing where some of us have to testify at the court-martial instead of participating in fleet actions one week?

<_< anyone?

Blaze Strife
    Participant

That depends on several things… I am interested, since it’s different, but then again, it’s questionable how reliable would an ensign’s word be. Especially since I wasn’t at the Raven at the time, but in the cargo of one of the other ships, stuck in a Phoneix’s lifepod.

Adele Mundy
    Participant

Mundy was on Raven at the time, so it would be likely that she’d be asked to testify. Which is a way of saying, I’d take part.

Matsiyan
    Participant

I am interested, partly because I enjoy roleplay but partly because Matsiyan seemed to be the only one who expressed an opinion contrary to absolving an alleged mutineer and murderer. “The ends justify the means” is not a USFP credo and he would be horrified to think that the TSN was adopting it wholesale, if only because of its existing potential overuse in covert operations.

Having said which, he was not aboard or privy to shipboard comms at the time of the incident, unless information obtained via psychic link can be admitted as evidence. But he would feel honour-bound to contribute in any way that he can to ensure due process is enacted.

Leonard Hall
    Participant

I will say that as a member of ONI that Xavier’s response to a mission which, honestly, was meant to serve as rather colorful filler turned out to produce an entire plot point. I’d love to see this fleshed out some more.

— LT Hall ONI

Aramond
    Participant

As much as I’d hate to miss an entire duty shift, I’m of the same mind as Mundy. Especially since Eric sees these events involving his ship and his captain. Yeah, he’s an odd cross between possessive and loyal-as-hell.

@matsiyan
    The main thing with you being the only one dissenting is probably because the majority of us don’t really play characters. The TSN is instead a weekly chance to play Artemis with a bunch of fun people.

Which brings up something else. With traitors wrecking our stuff (Cessna & del Pino), Captains being mind controlled (Expree), and now this; would we want to expand the RP to a higher level outside the normal roll call/captain-on-deck/pre-planned event type stuff? Such as the option to refuse an order in character? For example, I feel that if Conrad was on the Raven when this went down, he might have tried to stop this. And he probably wouldn’t have been alone either.

Matsiyan
    Participant

I’m not sure how much more we can elevate the RP. Military operations don’t leave a lot of room for variation. The thing that would enhance the RP is simply to do less OOC vocally, which is already a written into protocols, but I certainly don’t want to get in the way of people having fun. The forum conversations in the bar seem to be a great opportunity to do more RP, again if people do not push too far into silliness. Not that all such decisions should be judged by me or Matsiyan. We have a tendency for epic tragedy. One of my favourite plays is Antigone.

Matsiyan has been within a hairsbreadth of disobeying a direct order at least twice that I can think of since the covert mission to deploy the sensor relays. But on both occasions, the situation resolved itself before the vessel he was on could intervene. At some point he is going to start accusing himself of consent by silence. It is all too easy to retroactively disagree with something that should have been resisted on the spot.

Matsiyan is not entirely unhappy about the removal of the weapon and has respect for the moral position on that subject. The one thing he could not stomach would be the murder of the R&D crews, unless they had clearly transgressed some order that Xavier was required to enforce.

As far as I am aware a state of Civil War still exists with the Unukalhai. So destruction of naval assets ought to fall under aiding and abetting the enemy. Unless the mere existence of that weapon is a breach of a treaty or standing order, and the crews refused to abandon ship, then Xavier is a traitor and a murderer, even if he is morally courageous.

Adele Mundy
    Participant

And I am now kicking myself for not speaking up – Mundy advised the Captain to urge the Kraliens we fought earlier to abandon ship, when we were instructed to destroy ships that had surrendered. Somehow, in the tense situation with the research ship, she did not do the same thing. At least,not that I remember now. (Was the session being recorded?) So she is going to go through terrible qualms of conscience, even though she agrees that the weapon had to be destroyed.

What are the RP options? A court martial via teamspeak? Or a court martial forum?

Maurice Allard
    Participant

Well, Leonard and I were thinking of it being optional. I understand most people are here to play Artemis, not go on teamspeak and pretend to steal data, lie in court, or blackmail inquisitors.

I had a simple idea of having those who opted for the court-martial fill out a character sheet that was simply 5 categories with a set number of points they could allocate to those categories. Any action someone wanted to do (say pick a lock to an admiral’s quarters) would be the sum of a category. It wouldn’t be a hard, combat based RP thing persay. It was all hypothetical.

Yeah, I thought it’d be on TS, aboard station, you know?

Leonard Hall
    Participant

blackmail inquisitors.

Nobody expects the Terran Inquisition!

— LT Hall, ONI

Aramond
    Participant

@mundy Maybe you didn’t say anything about not killing the scientists, but Eric certainly did before we passed through the jump gate. So, the subject was brought up, at they very least.

@maurice
    While that would be a neat set-up, are any of us actually planning on messing with the trial?

Blaze Strife
    Participant

@Maurice @Aramond I doubt any one of us currently posting here would do something criminal (other than what has already been done, if it was criminal at all), so there’s no reason to have a charater sheet or anything like that. I believe it should be a court-martial in the courtroom, where we answer questions as witnesses, and have to help decide Xavier’s fate based on that alone. TS would work perfectly in that instance.

I’d love to see some of the senior officers on the court-martial. Is that possible?

@delPino
    , you stay out of it. 😛

John van Leigh
    Participant

//Matsiyan, I believe that you did protest (a lot) when I ordered killing surrendered Unakalhai ships. And you were right: I asked the first one to abandon ship and conveniently forgot to repeat the order hoping most of the crew will fall for it and shoot them anyways, and you were the only one that raised problems.//

To be honest, Blaze, I’m not sure I’m qualified to be in the court martial. I didn’t see anything, after all, so I can’t really say I know what the warning instances were. For example, is not the same to give a vocal warning and nuking them or vocal warning, EMP, vocal warning, volley of homings. I feel the second would be better, but I could only check audio logs.

Also, the NSD should, at any rate, be tasked with stopping the people trying to disturb the court martial.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

//My comment to @delPino was supposed to be OOC, but I forgot to put the slashes… Sorry.

Quinn
    Participant

Holy crap, sounds like we missed one hell of a shift! Can’t wait to read all the personal logs!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 74 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.