Combat Training Toolbox

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Blaze Strife
    Participant

Rather than limiting the range too much, I’d limit the rate of fire. But I agree with other points.

Xavier
    Keymaster

I have started a new document called the TSN Armoury to gather these ideas together. So far it is images, but we can expand on it as we encounter more weapons. I will add longer, detailed descriptions of the weapons, including information we’ve discussed like operation and useage.

TSN Armoury

Matsiyan
    Participant

A shuttle weapon would specifically be designed for use outside a sealed environment or to breach one. So I have no problem with it being slug or explosive. But I like the idea of a plasma weapon for breaching, also useful outside atmosphere for close work. But from existing cannon you would expect it to be a small primary beam weapon.

I could see marines carrying plasma as heavy weapons support.

I think for our typical work the carbine fills the role of heavier support weapon.

So I am seing for security and personal defense
    – Beam pistol
    – Unarmed combat
    – Single eye HUD/sensor/Monocle plus jaw-mounted comms/calc/sensor (especially because these exist in the avatar creation program)
    Damage control
    – Padded-Mesh armour for impact and energy absorption (various types in avatar creator)
    – Helmet
    – Ceraknife
    – Cutter/welder (heavy beam pistol)
    Crowd control (MPs?/Security)
    – Truncheon (of some kind)
    – Tasers either wire or via ionization trail from a laser
    – Sonic stunner?
    – Sonic/strobe grenade
    – Irritant/tranquilizer spray/gas
    – Shield (physical)
    Combat work
    – Shortsword (Kukri/gladius/wakizashi)
    – Beam-carbine (avatar creator “L5-Hyper-rifle” see pic of Nhaima)
    – Breaching charges
    – Headgear
    Support weapons (vehicle or armour-mounted)
    – Marine combat armour
    – Vibroknife/monofilament
    – Energy shield
    – Plasma cannon
    – Grenade launcher/mortar
    – Incendiaries
    – Light primary beam emitter
    – Slugthrowers chemical or gauss (plain/HE/AP/HEAP/tracer/flechette/tranq)

Tactically don’t forget beams are line of sight and they give away the location of the shooter. Not very important aboard ship but…

Blaze Strife
    Participant

That’s some nice work you put in there.

One thing I know about and would like to ask: why those shortswords? Why not a smallsword? Why not a large bowie knife?

Matsiyan
    Participant

No really good reason. It was late and I’ve had three weeks of critical production support management in a row, short on sleep and have the most physically strenuous weekend of my year tomorrow 🙂

I was just giving examples of median types in the category. And my expertise is only derived from RPG weapon nerdery plus a bit of fencing anfd kendo. I wanted to include a large knife but the smallsword might actually be the best suited for the purpose. Fast, light and best of all those examples for piercing the padded mesh. Plus, as a bonus it looks fantastic with a dress uniform and perpetuates the faintly Napoleonic Navy images which so appeals to some of us 🙂

Blaze Strife
    Participant

I see. 🙂

I’d advise against any blade longer than 60 cm, though, since that could be cumbersome if it’s not used as the primary side arm, but only in certain situations. That’s why I’d advise a knife, rather than a sword. The sword can always be optional, but it could be odd to see someone running around with a longer blade.

Xavier
    Keymaster

Perhaps a longer blade could be carried on ceremonial occasions, and not actually used as a combat weapon.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

That would be in accordance with some militaries, yes.

Unfortunately, they stopped using longswords. 😛

Matsiyan
    Participant

Hi Blaze, I agree with the length restriction. It needs to be useful enough to penetrate the type of armour imagined, small enough to use in corridors and convenient to carry. So somwhere between a stilletto and a short smallsword. Doesn’t extending the reach beyond a knife make it more of an equalizer to minimize weight/reach difference? Or is that fantasy? 60 cm smallswords would be awesome.

Blaze Strife
    Participant

It’s all about the context, as you’ve just stated. A 60 cm blade means the whole sword is about 80-90 cm. That’s a bit too much to be worn around and not intrude on you and your allies, unless it is being regularly used.

Keep in mind that carrying swords on one’s back is a bad idea since you cannot take it out of its scabbard, unless it’s under 60cm. And even then, it depends on the arm length of the user.

That’s why I think that having a knife is a better idea. The idea of the blades against armor is not that they penetrate the armor wherever, but rather in the weaks spots of the armor: the joints. That’s why I recommend different versions of the bowie knife.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • The forum ‘(OOC) Forum RP Development Ideas’ is closed to new topics and replies.