Combat Training Toolbox

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Matsiyan
    Participant

Dune: shield lasgun explosion is very bad news for both parties. Side effect of the shield is that it repels fast moving attacks so even blades have to be slowed and duels become a real game of chess.

Combat knife would only have to have an insulated handle 🙂 but I do like the ida of an exotic material. It just seems odd to carry a knife unless you are in assault mode.

I am assuming combat armour requires a powered weapon to penetrate, either an energy beam, high powered slug (very bad news in confined, pressurized spaces), a small slapped-on shaped charge or thermite/melting attack, a laser or plasma cutter.

Could the tonfa have an integrated deployable knife or spear blade for more lethality without becoming unbelievably impractical? It is a nice weapon because it allows for parrying, gives a hard surface for punching and allows for a little extra reach and momentum without being unwieldy. It also allows for non-lethal combat to be escalated to lethal with a blade. Or maybe it integrates a one-shot armour-piercing round for last ditch defense against armour?

Blaze Strife
    Participant

Well there are bladed tonfa. Some are even practical.

Matsiyan
    Participant

OK I looked up bladed tonfa and I am still shuddering at some of the spiky manga fantasies.

I was more thinking of ten centimetre piercing spike on one end that could be locked away for non lethal combat 🙂

What about a tonfa with built in taser?

Xavier
    Keymaster

Perhaps consider the enemies that we would be fighting – not just humans but also aliens… some of them big (Torgoth), some with natural hard carapace (Kralien), some slight and squishy (thinking Arvonian there), and some relatively humanoid. We are definitely considering the environment. I think the idea of some kind of concussive grenade would be interesting for breaching doors. We could also have something similar to the “flashbang” grenades as well.

About the energy pistol/ carbine we might encounter. If we give it a generic enough name and describe what it does, we can merrily skip by the mechanics and physics behind how it work, the same way we do with power use and distances. Ideas for names is what we need. It could be a number or military designation, a manufacturers name, or simply a nickname. We could also have a relatively generic name for alien weapons, or again nicknames. What it does would pretty much be the same as they would all be “energy weapons” of some sort.

I am still torn on the other close quarter weapon for hand-to-hand fighting. A small, standard issue knife is a must in my mind. You could cut wires, pry open panels and doors, use it on screws, stab stuff with it etc. In terms of a bladed weapon, I was thinking along the lines of Mundy’s expertise in fencing (if I remember correctly) that made me think about it. That and films like Master and Commander (and Muppet’s Treasure Island) with the great sword fighting scenes (who can ever forget Kermit facing down Long-john Silver?)

Xavier
    Keymaster

Pulse Carbine – potential name for a gun for example

Xavier
    Keymaster

Pulse Carbine

And here is a possible image from google about what it might look like. Quite short and compact, with a stock for greater accuracy when aiming. The magazine would instead be a power pack, or perhaps removed entirely.

Another possible image

These are just an idea of what they might look like. The one above being an SMG type weapon.

Matsiyan
    Participant

Would that make the handgun a “pulser”?

Xavier
    Keymaster

Is that a question or an idea Marsiyan?

Handgun – a Pulser

Carbine – Pulse carbine

What would the SMG be?

Are we happy with all the details? I can add them tonight at some point during a simulation on a shift. Enemy weapons would just be a varient of the TSN weapons,just slightly different configurations, sizes etc. Fundamentally,they’d end up being similar.

Anonymous
    Inactive

In terms of communication equipment, is it possible that we have sub-dermal implants for these purposes?

Matsiyan
    Participant

Too many upgrades and revisions. Plus… Arvonians.

Xavier
    Keymaster

Any new kit would have to be implanted, with older stuff being removed and disposed off. Any damaged stuff would have to be removed. Logistically, it might be a bit of a nightmare to upgrade and change.

Matsiyan
    Participant

“Pulser” was a suggestion. Illustrations were cool but I quite liked the baton-shaped blasters that were used in Andromeda. With no recoil there is less reason to have the grip aligned to absorb shock. Ultimate point and shoot, but the badass pistols are more grungy.

If slugs are dangerous to the environment and that is why we need energy weapons. Then armour may not need to be the massive plate-type but more the embedded mesh to dissipate heat. That mesh might also be good at resisting cuts and dissipating crushing blows. That would make the case for a piercing weapon like a shortsword.

Heavy marine combat armour would probably only be used in groundside environments where kkinetic weapons are safe or larger environments where a lot of hand to hand was expected.

Headgear, I like the idea of a heads-up display like the tech monocle in Mundy’s avatar. The headgear as armour makes a lot of sense but visual media avoids it in order to show the heroes faces 🙂

Knife: I have a hard time seeing urban tech beings carrying a knife unless they have some honour code-based need to carry a weapon. (TOS Mirror Universe) I envisage the TSN/USFP as less martial than that. All of the practical applications would be covered by a modern multitool which could of course include a four inch blade. A knife would be reasonable anywhere outside an urban environment or specifically in combat gear.

Matsiyan
    Participant

Regarding pulse SMG: with modern autofire capabilities would the carbine fulfill that role or do you envisage rapid-fire needing a specifically separate adaptation for energy weapons? Maybe call that an “assault pulser” to distinguish from single shot carbine?

So Pulser, Pulse-carbine and Assault-pulser (or auto-pulser?).

If you want model numbers
    Individually Portable Energy Weapon, Pistol MK II, IPEW-P2
    Individually Portable Energy Weapon, Carbine MK-IX, IPEW-C9
    Individually Portable Energy Weapon, Assault, MK-V, IPEW-A5

Often referred to simply as P2, C9 or A5

(The unfortunate acronym was not contrived. It just arose naturally. Can you see any nerd military contractor resisting it?)

Blaze Strife
    Participant

What do you think about a holo projection like in your own avatar, Matsiyan?

“IPEW” I pew? I pew pew pew? Hahahah! Pew pew pew image.

Xavier
    Keymaster

With the recent mission, meeting a large creature, I was thinking about a heavier weapon of some kind that we might carry in a shuttle. Perhaps we could have something equivalent to a Light Support Weapon, which has a heavier hitting power than a pulse carbine. The problem is making sure it isn’t too big…. or too explosive….

Maybe we could have some kind of plasma/energy weapons that causes massive damage to a single target, but can only be fired a short distance. It would be equivalent to a bazooka perhaps in terms of use (e.g. the targets you’d use it against) and range (shorter distance, but not quite point blank). I also think it should be limited to a set number of shots e.g. 5 shots before the power cell gives out. Personally, I think we should stick to energy based weapons though – excessive amounts of explosive ammunition seems a little too dangerous on a shuttle.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • The forum ‘(OOC) Forum RP Development Ideas’ is closed to new topics and replies.